Summary: Is your HP laptop screen turns black after or before signing in? Looking at what went wrong and how to fix HP laptop black screen issue then this article is for you. Here in this article get reliable solutions to resolve black screen issues during startup or after sign in.
To Fix HP laptop black screen, we recommend Advanced System Repair tool:
This software is your one stop solution to fix Windows errors, protect you from malware, clean junks and optimize your PC for maximum performance in 3 easy steps:
The HP laptop black screen is a common problem the HP laptop users are receiving randomly and found reporting. Well, this is not a very strange issue that commonly occurs after a Windows update.
But the good news is that there are solutions that work for you to fix HP laptop screen is black issue.
So here check out the solutions to fix the issues such as HP laptop screen goes black but still running or HP laptop black screen on startup.
Make sure to follow them one by one carefully to avoid the HP laptop black screen carefully.
Why My HP Laptop Screen is Black?
Well, there are plenty of reasons responsible for the black screen on your HP laptop. And the most common culprit is the faulty hardware like the loose connection of GPU, bad cables or port issue can result in HP laptop black screen.
Despite the hardware issue, software issues like viruses or software corruption can cause the HP laptop screen goes black randomly issue.
Also in some cases identifying the exact cause for the problem is not identified, so to deal with it connect an external monitor to the HP laptop properly. And if the external display works properly, then it is clear monitor issue is causing the problem. So simply get it repaired.
But if the other display is still black then it might be a hardware issue within the laptop or software issue in the system.
So, in that case, try the below-given solutions to fix HP laptop screen is black.
The given solutions work for you to deal with the different cases of black screen of HP laptop, such as:
- HP laptop black screen after login
- HP laptop black screen after update
- HP laptop screen goes black but still running
- HP laptop black screen on startup
So without wasting time just follow the possible solutions given:
How Do You Fix a Black Screen on an HP Laptop?
The solutions given will help you to resolve all the above given different cases of the black screen so try them one by one. Well, you don’t need to follow all the solutions, just follow them until the issue is fixed.
Solution 1: Hard Reset your Laptop
As said above the commonly the faulty hardware can cause a black screen on the HP laptop. So here it is suggested to remove the connected hardware from the laptop and check if this is the problem.
Follow the steps to perform a hard reset on your laptop:
- First, shut down your laptop.
- Next remove the power, hard drives, battery, and the attached peripheral devices.
- Now press and hold the power button for 60 seconds then release.
- And put the battery in and plug the charger > avoid plugging anything else.
- Then boot the laptop again.
Check if the HP laptop black screen issue is resolved. If the problem is resolved then turn off the laptop and plug one peripheral device at a time and check if the issue reappears or not.
This helps you to identify what is causing the problem.
If the problem is fixed then simply update your graphics card driver to prevent the black screen issue from appearing again. (Follow the ways to update graphics drivers in #Solution 2)
But if still encountering HP laptop screen goes black randomly issue then try the other solutions.
If the black screen is still there, don’t worry. We have other solutions to try. Kindly note if you can’t log into your Windows laptop, you’ll need to boot your laptop into Safe Mode before trying the following solutions.
Solution 2: Update Graphic Card Drivers
Well, the outdated or missing graphics card driver in the HP laptop can also cause a black screen so, here it is suggested to verify the graphics drivers are updated and update the ones that aren’t.
To update the graphics drivers go to Microsoft’s official website or the manufacturer’s website and search for the latest driver update compatible with your Windows OS.
Despite this you can also update the graphics drivers easily by running the Driver Easy, this scans your system and updates the entire outdated drivers easily.
Solution 3: Boot into Safe Mode & Restart Explorer.exe Process
Here you need to boot your Windows laptop in Safe Mode. This will boot your machine using the required resources, and help you to figure out what is causing the issue on your HP laptop.
There are many other ways to boot Windows 10 into Safe mode.
Follow the steps to turn on the HP laptop in safe mode:
- Insert bootable Windows disk into laptop > boot your laptop from it.
- Now choose the Repair option > then go to Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings > Restart
- And choose Enable Safe Mode with Networking.
Now your laptop boot-up in safe mode and restart the explorer.exe process.
The explorer.exe process manages the desktop, taskbar, etc. on the laptop, and if it is closed the desktop and taskbar will become invisible and the screen goes black.
And to do so you need to open the task manager.
Follow the Steps to Restart Explorer.exe Process:
- Press Ctrl+ Shift + Esc to start Task Manager
- Now click the Details tab or Processes tab if running Windows 7
- Scroll down and locate explorer.exe process
- If YES, end the process by choosing explorer.exe > click End Task
- Now restart the HP laptop > check if the black screen issue is resolved
- But if you won’t locate the explorer.exe in the list, run the process by your own:
- In the Task Manager > click File > choose Run new task
- Type explorer.exe > Enter
Now the process will start running, check black screen in HP laptop is fixed. If not then head to the next solution.
If you getting the registry error in your HP devices then read the article – HP Registry Repair.
Solution 4: Disable Fast Startup
Disabling the fast startup will help you to fix HP laptop black screen after login. There are many startup programs that are safe to disable in Windows 10 and to know about read the article –How to Disable Safe Startup Programs in Windows 10
Follow the steps to do so:
- Open Control Panel > view Control Panel items by small icons or large icons.
- Now click Power Options
- And Choose what power buttons do.
- Then click Change settings that are currently unavailable.
- And uncheck Turn on fast startup (recommended) > click Save changes.
- Next, restart your computer
It is estimated now your HP laptop black screen issue is resolved.
Solution 5: Disable App Readiness
Many users confirmed disabling app readiness service worked for them to fix HP laptop black screen on startup. Therefore it is worth giving it a try if the issue is not solved.
You can also read about the other Windows 10 services that are safe to disable to optimize Windows performance.
Follow the steps given:
- In your HP laptop search for Services > open the services manager.
- Then right-click on the App Readiness service > choose Properties.
- And as the properties screen opens> choose Manual from the Startup > click Apply button > OK
And after doing this, download and install the HP Image Enhancement for System Logon software on your laptop and restart your laptop.
I hope now the HP laptop black screen on startup issue is fixed.
Solution 6: Utilize HP Emergency BIOS Recovery Feature
If the HP laptop was updated with the latest version of BIOS, then this would cause the laptop screen to go black.
Luckily the HP laptop keeps the copy of working BIOS and you can roll back to working BIOS. And as you do it the laptop will turn on without any issue.
Follow the steps to do so:
- First, turn off your laptop and connect it to the power adapter.
- Then Windows + B and the Power key for a second
- And go for the keys you held down > your screen will go black for 40 seconds and you will hear the beep sound.
- On you are on the BIOS screen and you can revert to the working BIOS version.
Check if the HP laptop black screen issue is resolved.
Solution 7: Reseat the Memory Modules (5-10 minutes)
If after following the above solutions you are still encountering HP laptop black screen after startup or the HP laptop black screen after login, then here try to reseat the memory.
Follow the steps to do it carefully:
- First, remove the power adapter and the power source.
- Next press the Power button to shut down the laptop.
- And remove the access panel > set it aside.
- Now to release the module > push out two securing latches.
- And slide the module out and remove it from your laptop.
- While handling the modules > avoid touching the metal contact.
- Then reseat the module in the bottom slot > and slide it into the right place.
- To lock it push down on the module > repeat the process to install two modules back to the right place
- Next, reinstall the access panel > reconnect the power adapter to the laptop and a wall outlet.
- Then press the Power button to turn on the laptop.
If the laptop screen displays then the issue is resolved.
Solution 8: Revert all the Changes
If none of the above-given solutions work for you then it is time to perform a system restore. It is likely that after updating the Windows or you might have installed a new program on the computer that causes the HP laptop black screen issue.
So, if this is the case then try to perform a system restore in your Windows OS.
But if you have installed a program in the HP laptop then uninstall the program and restart your laptop. Check if the screen displays.
Or else if you have upgraded Windows system > then restore your system to the previous version.
Here follow the steps to do it: (For Windows 10/8/8.1)
- Open Control Panel > click System and Security.
- Now click System > System protection > System Restore
- And choose the restore point that you want to use from the list.
- Then follow the on-screen steps.
If using Windows 7 or Windows Vista
- First go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore
- And choose the earlier restore point.
- Follow the on-screen instruction to finish.
Next after restoring the system, restart your laptop and check if the black screen issue is resolved
Best & Easy Solution to Fix HP Laptop Black Screen Issue
If none of the above-given solutions works for you then it is worth scanning your system with the PC Repair Tool. This is an advanced repair utility that just by scanning once, detect and fix various computer-related issues and errors.
With this, you can also fix various computer stubborn errors, DLL errors, BSOD errors, registry issues, Application errors, and more. It not only fixes errors but also optimizes the Windows PC performance.
So this is all about the HP laptop black screen issues.
I tried my best to list down the complete solutions to fix HP laptop black screen issue that appears in different situations.
It is estimated after following the given tested solutions the HP laptop screen goes black randomly issue won’t bother you anymore.
Make sure to follow them carefully to avoid further issues.
I hope the article worked for you if you have any queries, comments, or suggestions that feel free to share them with us.
Hardeep has always been a Windows lover ever since she got her hands on her first Windows XP PC. She has always been enthusiastic about technological stuff, especially Artificial Intelligence (AI) computing. Before joining PC Error Fix, she worked as a freelancer and worked on numerous technical projects.