Windows users start to panic whenever they see a blue screen of death error. As these cause various unexpected issues to the Windows PC/laptop.
There are various blue screens of death error encountered by the users from time to time and speaking of the BSOD errors one such problematic error is – Driver Power State Failure.
Driver Power State Failure usually arises because of outdated or incompatible installed drivers. However, there are other reasons as well, responsible for the error that we will discuss later.
Well, the Driver Power State Failure can cause many issues on the PC, so it is really important to fix it as soon as possible.
Luckily fixing the error driver power state failure is relatively easy, all you need is try the below-given solutions one by one.
But before moving towards the fixes learn some important information related to the error Driver Power State Failure blue screen.
What is Driver_power_state_failure?
When you restart or boot your computer, you might come across a blue screen of death error called Driver Power State Failure having a value of 0x0000009F. It indicates the driver is an invalid or incompatible or inconsistent power state.
In 99% of the case, the Driver Power State Failure error is caused when placing the operating system to sleep mode. And you are more likely to encounter the error during login the PC/laptop.
What Causes Driver Power State Failure?
- Incompatibility between PC’s power management
- Installation of more than one driver
- Sudden shutting down the computer
- Computer entering into sleep mode or returning from it
- Due to the ntoskrnl.exe file
- Misconfigured or outdated driver
- While restarting the computer
- Computer moving into hibernate mode or returning from it
These are some of the common reasons responsible for the error driver power state failure.
List of Some of the Common Driver Power State Failure Error:
Well, the Driver Power State Failure is problematic and causes various problems related to it. Users reported some errors related to it:
- Driver Power State Failure on Restart – Users reported this error when restarting their system and unable to perform any task.
- Driver Power State Failure Nvidia – This error is related to the Nvidia graphics. If you are using the Nvidia graphics card then this is what causing the error.
- Driver Power State Failure on startup – The users are receiving the error when the PC/laptop is booting. And as a result, you won’t be able to use your device at all.
- Driver Power State Failure Blue Screen – This is a common error message that most of the Windows 10 users are encountering and usually due to the driver related problem.
- Driver Power State Failure on Shutdown – Some users are getting the error when they try to shut down the system says ‘shutting down’ and after some time it gives the blue screen showing the driver power state failure error.
So, these are some of the Driver Power State Failure related error messages. Now to fix them follow the below-given solutions one by one carefully.
It doesn’t matter which error you are receiving, the fixes given works in all the cases.
How Do I Fix Power Driver State Failure?
Well, there is no specific solution to fix the Driver Power State Failure Error in Windows 10. You need to try the number of solutions like
Now follow the solution in details:
Solution 1: Update the Drivers
As I said above the driver power state failure error message is commonly related to outdated or incompatible drivers.
So, very first it is recommended to update the outdated drivers. To update the drivers visit the Microsoft official website or the manufacturer website and search for the latest driver compatible with your system.
And update the installed drivers.
Moreover, this is a bit time-consuming and tricky solution, you can go for the easy solution to update the drivers easily.
Run the Driver Easy to update the drivers automatically
Solution 2: Try to Roll Back Drivers Newly Installed Drivers
Sometimes, driver power state failure error may start appearing because of installing updates of drivers or some common driver problems, so to fix this issue you need to restore the updated drivers to their previous version.
- Open the Device Manager option and expand the category to find the device with error drivers.
- Right-click on the device name and click on the Properties.
- Navigate to the Driver tab -> click on the Roll Back Drivers button
- Now, follow the instructions given on the screen to roll back the driver.
- Restart your system to apply the changes.
After Rolling back drivers to their previous version you will no longer notice Driver Power State Failure Windows 10 Error.
Solution 3: Uninstall the Recently Installed Software
If driver power state failure error starts appearing just after the installation of any software/application then remove the software and see that the problem is fixed or not.
Follow the steps given below to uninstall the software:
- Open control panel
- Click on Programs
- Select Programs and Features.
- Click on the recently installed software and Uninstall/remove them.
- Restart the PC.
Sometimes manually uninstalling any program won’t remove it completely, some of its traces, junk files, registry entries left behind that cause issue when you reinstall the program.
So here it is suggested to run the third-party uninstaller to remove any program completely.
Get Revo Uninstaller to remove the software completely
Solution 4: Disconnect Peripherals from your PC
If the driver power state failure occurs after you connect a device (printer, scanner, camera, etc.) to the computer, try disconnecting the device and see if the problem gets resolve or not.
- Turn off your computer
- Remove the device
- Turn on the computer again
Now, after you have disconnected the peripherals from your computer try reconnecting the device again and see if the driver power state failure BSOD error appears or not.
If the error again arises then the issue is with your peripheral’s device.
Solution 5: Repair System Files Errors
Driver power state failure error may also occur because of damaged or corrupt system files. Follow the given steps to repair corrupted system files.
Note: To apply the below-given steps you need to log in as administrator.
- Open the run dialogue box by pressing Windows + R key
- Type cmd in the Run box and click OK
- Type sfc /scannow and hit Enter key.
After the completion of this command, you will get a message that shows if your system’s file has any problematic files.
If there are problematic files then the BSOD error is caused by those files and you need to repair them to solve the driver power state failure Windows 10 error.
Solution 6: Run DISM Command
Sometimes if an sfc scan does not help in solving the error then you can try running the DISM service (Deployment Image Servicing and Management).
Follow the steps to run this command:
- Press Window icon
- Type cmd, right-click on command prompt and open as administrator
- Type the following commands and hit enter:
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /scanhealth
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
After the scanning process is completed the driver power state failure BSOD error will stop appearing and the problem is solved completely.
Solution 7: Change Power Settings
Due to power settings, the error is encountered by the user. To fix this issue, you can disable some power settings.
Follow the steps to make changes in the power settings:
- Open the control panel
- And click on the power options
- Click on Choose what the power button does
- Click on Change settings that are currently unavailable
- Now, disable Turn off fast startup (recommended), Sleep and Hibernate options
- Click on the Save changes button
After making changes in the power settings, the error message driver power state failure Windows 8.1 won’t appear.
Solution 8: Change Power Settings in Nvidia Control Panel
This solution is for the users who are getting the error related to the Nvidia graphic driver issue. Here you need to modify the power settings.
Follow the steps to do so:
- Open Nvidia Control Panel.
- And select Manage 3D settings, in the left pane.
- Now select a dedicated graphics card as a Preferred graphics processor. In the list of settings Locate Power management mode and choose to Prefer maximum performance.
- Save the changes
This solution worked for many users, so check if this worked for you to fix the Driver Power Failure Windows 10 Nvidia.
Solution 9: Disable Device’s Power Settings Option
As I said earlier because of power settings the error appears. So here it is suggested to temporarily disable the device power saver option.
Follow the steps to disable the device power option to solve the issue;
- Press Windows + R key
- Type devmgmt. msc and click OK to open device manager
- Locate network adapter and open its properties
- Click on the Power Management tab and uncheck the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power option
- Click OK to apply changes
After performing the above steps, the problem will be solved completely. Remember that there are many other devices in your PC that cause 0x0000009F error.
So, disable the settings of those devices that are causing driver power state failure Windows 10 error.
Solution 10: Disable Antivirus Software
Antivirus software is very important to protect your PC/Laptop but sometimes these antiviruses can interfere with your system and can cause the error message to appear.
To solve this issue, you can disable your antivirus temporarily and see whether the problem persists or not.
If yes, then remove the antivirus and install the antivirus’s latest version. Read the article – What Happens When Antivirus Program Expires On Your Windows 10?
I hope the solutions given works for you to resolve the error driver power state failure, but if this BSOD error persists, then use the recommended easy solution.
Best & Easy Solution to Fix Driver Power State Failure Error
To fix the driver power state failure Windows 10 the above-mentioned manuals will work for you. But in case you find the solutions difficult to perform then here is an easy solution for you.
Try the PC Repair Tool. This advanced tool will scan your device once, detect and fix all the errors such as registry error, BSOD error, DLL error, update error, game error, and others without the need of any professional.
It also repairs the corrupt Windows system files and speeds up the performance of your PC like a new one.
Get PC Repair Tool to Fix Driver Power State Failure Error
All right, here my job is done.
I have tried my best and listed down the solutions that will help you to get rid of driver power state failure blue screen error.
Now, it is your turn to apply the manual solutions and fix this error or you can also try the easy solution mentioned above.
There are various BSOD errors and to know about them you can visit our BSOD Error Hub.
I hope this article turns out to be useful for you in solving your problem with Windows 10/8 & 7.
Despite this, if you have any queries or suggestions regarding this article then you can write to us in the comment section mentioned below.
Always up to help others with their PC-related issues, Jack loves to write on subjects such as Windows 10, Xbox, and numerous technical things. In his free time, he loves to play with his dog “Bruno” and hang out with his friends.