Error Code 2(-998) signifies that there is a problem with the Hulu app and you are unable to play videos or watch content.
The error presents itself with a short message “Sorry, we encountered an error playing this video. Please try restarting the video or select something else to watch. Error Code: 2(-998)”
However, for many restarting the videos still won’t fix the error. Here we have done our research and found that the Hulu error code 2(-998) is caused due to various different problems.
Here, in this article, we have shortlisted the common causes responsible for the error as well as potential solutions to fix the error and start streaming content on Hulu.
To repair corrupted Windows system files , we recommend Advanced System Repair tool:
This software is your one stop solution to fix Windows errors, protect you from malware, clean junks and optimize your PC for maximum performance in 3 easy steps:
- Download Advanced System Repair tool rated Excellent on Trustpilot.
- Click Install & Scan Now to install & scan issues causing the PC problems.
- Next, click on Click Here to Fix All Issues Now to fix, clean, protect and optimize your PC effectively.
What Causes Hulu Error Code 2(-998)?
- Server Issue- Most of the time it has been found that the user gets this error due to a server outage. So, try to check the Hulu server first when on encountered such an error.
- Unstable Internet Connection- If your internet connection is not strong or stable then it might cause this error to appear. So, always make sure you must have a stable and strong internet connection to avoid such errors.
- Outdated Hulu App– If you have an outdated version of the Hulu app then you might get faced with such an error. However, in this case, make sure to use the latest version of the Hulu app.
- Corrupted or Missing Application files– If the application files got corrupted or missing then it might show you the Hulu Error Code 2. Try fixing the issue by restoring the missing files and repairing the corrupted files by performing an SFC scan.
- Cache Data– When the Hulu app got burdened with lots of unnecessary cache data then it might trigger this error to the user. Try clearing the cache data to avoid such a problematic situation.
- Expired Subscription– Most of the time, the user faces this error when their subscription got expired. So when faced with such an issue tries to check your subscription status also.
Now, knowing the causes responsible for this error will help you to apply the most effective fix to solve this problem without taking any of your extra time.
How to Fix Hulu Error Code 2(-998)?
Fix 1: Check The Hulu App Server
If the server is running through downtime or is under maintenance then the Hulu app stops working and may show the error code 2(-998) due to connection interruption.
So, here it is suggested to confirm Hulu server is working fine so check the server status visit the Downdetector website or heading to Hulu’s official Twitter page and checking the status.
If you find the server is down then wait till the server starts working again but if the server is working fine then try other solutions listed.
Fix 2: Check The Internet Connection of Your System
Another major reason for this error is the unstable internet connection on your system. It has been recorded in forums by many users that an unstable or slow internet connection stops the Hulu app from streaming content and results in showing the temporary error code 2(-998) on Hulu.
So, if this is the case, then make sure you have a stable or strong internet connection or else switch to a cable connection to get uninterrupted internet flow.
Fix 3: Force Stop Hulu App
Sometimes the app’s internal glitches and bugs cause interference and stop it from functioning properly. Therefore here it is suggested to force stop the Hulu app on your device.
3.1: Windows PC
- Launch Task Manager by pressing the Ctrl+ Shift+ Esc key.
- Now view under the Processes tab, the list of Background running tasks.
- Look for the Hulu app and click the End Task button at the right bottom.
3.2 Android Phone
- On your phone launch Settings and look for Apps and open it.
- Here search for Hulu and press it, now hit the Force Stop button option.
3.3 Android TV
- On your TV open Settings and then click on Apps.
- Then select the Hulu app and click on the Force Stop option
Fix 4: Check The Hulu App Version
Sometimes running an outdated app can stop the app from functioning properly and cause various errors including the Hulu error code 2(-998). So, make sure you are running an updated version of the app to avoid such errors.
4.1: Windows PC
- To update the Hulu App on Windows PC, open the Microsoft store and then click on the (See More) button on the right side.
- Now click on the Downloads and updates and then click on the Get updates button to check for updates.
- See if you find any update for the Hulu app, install it and relaunch the app.
4.2: Android Phone
- To update the Hulu app on Android phone, launch the Google Play Store and then click on the (three lines)
- Now click on the My apps & games option then locate the Hulu app and click on update.
4.3: Android TV
- To update the Hulu app on Android TV, go to the Home screen and then open Apps and choose the Google Play Store.
- Now click on My Apps then check for the Hulu app.
After updating the Hulu App as per your device, relaunch it and try streaming the content to check if the error gets fixed or else head to the next solution.
Fix 5: Clear Hulu App Cache Data
Sometimes, the cache data stored on the Hulu app gets corrupted and start causing conflict, which later causes trouble in playing videos and may lead to Hulu error code 2(-998).
So, try clearing the app cache and check if the error gets fixed.
5.1: Android Phone
- To clear the Hulu app cache on Android phones open Settings.
- Then select Apps under it click on the Manage Apps option and select Hulu
- And finally, select Clear Data.
Now, your Hulu app is ready to be re-launched.
5.2: Android TV
- To clear Hulu cache data on the Android TV launch the TV and open Settings and click on Apps
- Now click on the Manage Installed Applications and select Hulu then click the Clear Cache option.
Once the Hulu app cache data is cleared completely relaunch the app and check if the error code 2 998 in the Hulu app is fixed.
Fix 6: Check Your Hulu App Subscription Status
If your Hulu app subscription got expired then you might get this error by hindering the video from playing any further. So, here it is suggested to check the subscription status in case you are facing such an error.
If your subscription got expired, then try renewing your subscription to fix connection error for Hulu error code 2(-998).
Fix 7: Switch to Browser Version
If after following the fixes given you are still seeing the error code 2(-998) when streaming content in Hulu App then here it is suggested to use the browser version and check if still see the error or not.
You can any browser (Chrome, Firefox, or edge) search for Hulu and open it then log in with your credential. After logging successfully, try streaming the content and check if the error still appears or not.
Fix 8: Re-install The Hulu App
If you are still seeing the Hulu error code 2(-998) then there are chances some of the files get corrupted and reinstalling the app may work for you.
8.1: Windows PC
- To uninstall the Hulu app from the Windows PC open Settings by pressing the Windows + I key
- Then look for Apps and click on it and click on Installed Apps.
- Search for the Hulu app > right-click on it and choose Uninstall button.
- Wait for the uninstall process to finish and reboot your PC.
- Now launch the Microsoft Store search for the Hulu app and install it.
8.2: Android Phone
- On your Android Phone, open Settings.
- Click on Apps than on Manage Apps and search for Hulu and tap on it
- Now choose Uninstall and let the app uninstall completely.
- Open the Google Play store and in the search box type Hulu and tap on it from the results
- Click on the Install button, once installed launch the Hulu app and log in with your credential.
8.3: Android TV
- On your Android TV go to the Home screen, and open Settings.
- Now under Device choose Apps.
- And select the Hulu app from the list.
- Choose Uninstall and press OK.
- Now open the Google Play store and search for the Hulu app.
- Click the download button and once installed, launch the app and log in with your credential.
Fix 9: Contact With Support Team of Hulu
If none of the above methods solves your issue then the best solution is to reach for the support team of the Hulu app. Make sure to keep your account-related details in hand ready to provide instant information on being verified by the support executive.
Mostly these errors are temporary and fixed when the Hulu app got updated. If having an updated version of the app doesn’t solve your problem then you can go for some above potential solutions to get past the Hulu error code 2(-998).
I, hope the solutions listed work for you to resolve the error thereby letting you watch your favourite series/movie without any further interruptions.
Despite this, feel free to scan your system with the PC Repair Tool, as sometimes, due to the PC related to the problem, the apps won’t run in a dedicated manner and will show various errors. Therefore, it is suggested to scan your system with this advanced tool and repair corrupted Windows system files, other errors, etc.
In case of any doubts and queries related to this particular blog, you can comment on Twitter or Facebook.
Always up to help others with their PC-related issues, Jack loves to write on subjects such as Windows 10, Xbox, and numerous technical things. In his free time, he loves to play with his dog “Bruno” and hang out with his friends.