When your Windows says, “The program can’t start because VCRUNTIME140.DLL is missing from your computer,” the VCRUNTIME140.DLL file gets misplaced or deleted from it the Windows system. Thus, it reflects the VCRUNTIME140.dll is missing error. So, if you are getting the same error on Windows 10, try getting past the error issue with our professional VCRUNTIME.Dll Repair Tool or run the SFC scan to find the missing file and recover it.
The error appears with a small message stating, “The program can’t start because vcruntime140.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem”.
Well, the error is severe and frustrating at the same time that needs instant troubleshooting. So, here in this blog, we have shared the best possible solutions to fix “vcruntime140 dll missing” error message on Windows 10.
But first, look at the common reasons for the error.
Why am I Getting Vcruntime140.dll Missing Error?
Usually, this error message starts appearing after a Windows update installation or an improper program installation. However, there are other reasons also responsible for such an error issue.
- Missing Vcruntime140.dll files- The primary reason for this error is missing Vcruntime140.dll files. Without these files, some apps will not be able to start.
- Migration of Adobe Creative Cloud- Most users encountered this error right after Adobe Creative Cloud migrated from shopping mode Microsoft runtimes to Visual C ++.
- Corrupt Kodi installation- You may encounter this error if the Kodi has not been correctly installed on your Windows 10 PC.
- This error message won’t allow WAMP software to work.
- Virus or malware-affected PC- If your PC is somehow affected by a virus or malware, it may lead to the vcruntime140.dll missing.
- Corrupted or missing system files- Sometimes, missing or corrupt system files can also cause such errors on Windows 10 PCs.
So, these are the common reasons for this error; now, follow the fixes given one by one to solve it permanently.
How do I Fix Vcruntime140.dll is Missing Windows 10?
If you are lucky, you can fix the error by reinstalling the culprit program. But, if you are still unable to overcome the issue after the reinstallation process, then follow the below-given instructions:
Solution 1: Re-register the VCRUNTIME140.dll file
Regsvr32 command in Command Prompt can quickly fix VCRUNTIME140.dll, a missing Windows OS error. And to fix this issue, you have to:
- Type cmd in the search box to open Command Prompt
- Now you have to right-click on search results and then select Run as Administrator
- After this, to unregister the file, you have to type in the following and then hit the Enter key
regsvr32 /u VCRUNTIME140.dll
- And to register the file, you need to type in the following and then hit the Enter key
Solution 2: Reinstall Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015
Reinstalling the Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015 will help you to fix the missing VCRUNTIME140.dll error. Following the official Microsoft rule is recommended, and installing the corrupt or missing files properly; otherwise, you will have to deal with each damaged program separately.
It is strongly recommended that you download the Visual C++ Redistributable folder from the official Microsoft website. Follow the below-given steps one by one]
- Open the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable official Microsoft website. And then click on the download button.
- You will be redirected to the page asking to select the download you want. Here you will see two files: x64.exeand vc_redist.x86.exe. If your system is running a 32-bit operating system, then choose the x86 version of the file. If your system runs on the 64-bit operating system, then go with the x64 version of the file.
- Now, open the file, and you will be asked to read Microsoft Software License Terms and agree to them to install the missing software piece. Tick mark on the “I agree to the license terms and conditions” and choose Install.
- At last, check for the error. It is hoped that the problem you are experiencing should be fixed.
Solution 3: Run the System File Checker
Try repairing the corrupted system files with the inbuilt System File Checker tool. With just one scan, it detects and repairs the corrupted Windows system files.
Follow the steps to run the tool:
- Press Windows key + R keys > to start the Run box > type CMD > and choose Command Prompt with administrative permissions.
- Now in the command prompt, type sfc/scannow > hit Enter
- Wait for the scanning process to complete (approx. 15 minutes)
And once the scanning process is completed, all the Windows errors are fixed, then restart your system and check if the VCRUNTIME140.dll is missing an error.
Solution 4: Try To Repair Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable
Many users confirmed that repairing the Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable worked for them to fix VCRUNTIME140.dll missing error in Windows 10. So, it is worth to give a try.
Follow the steps to do so:
- Open the Control Panel with admin privilege. To do this, right-click on the start menu and choose Control Panel.
- Open Programs & Features or Add/Remove Programs according to the OS type that you use.
- Search for the Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable (x64) – [version number] and click OK
- You will see the uninstaller, Instead of clicking “Uninstall,” go with the Repair option.
- At last, restart your system.
Solution 5: Manually Install the VCRUNTIME140.dll Missing File
If the above solutions don’t work for you, then try to download and replace the VCRUNTIME140.dll Missing File manually.
But you need to be extra cautious as downloading the DLL files manually often comes bundled with a virus. So here it is suggested to download the VCRUNTIME140.dll file from the manufacturer’s website or from the Microsoft official website.
Make sure to choose the 64-bit or 32-bit version as per your system. And once the file is downloaded, replace the VCRUNTIME140.dll file manually.
I hope this work for you to solve the program can’t start because vcruntime140.dll is missing an error in Windows 10, but if not, head to the next solution.
Solution 6: Re-install the Recently Installed Application
If none of the above-given solutions works for you here, it is suggested to uninstall and reinstall the application.
Follow the steps to do so:
- Press Windows + I key > to open Settings > click on Apps
- Now locate the application you installed recently > and click on it to see the list of options.
- Select Uninstall and follow the onscreen instructions.
- And re-download the application and install it from the official website.
After the reinstallation process is completed, you can run it without any error. Moreover, if the error is not yet fixed, try uninstalling the application with the third-party uninstaller.
As it completely removes the files, including traces, junk files, and leftovers.
Solution 7: Reset Your Windows
If none of the above fixes works for you, go for resetting your Windows 10 PC. This will most probably fix the error problem. Follow the below instructions to do so:
- Launch Settings on your Windows 10 PC.
- Head to the Update & Security section and select the Recovery option.
- Then, on the right side, under Reset this PC section, tap on Get Started.
- Now, choose the Keep my files option and click on Cloud download.
- Follow the instructions and restart your PC to check for the error is fixed or not.
Solution 8: Additional Troubleshooting Solutions
You can also try the other quick solutions to fix the program can’t start because vcruntime140.dll is missing an error.
Update Windows 10 – Check for the update and install the latest Windows 10 update.
Run an Antivirus scan – Also, scan your system with a good antivirus tool to remove viruses or malware.
Update the drivers – It’s possible that outdated or corrupted system drivers are causing the vcruntime140.dll error on your Windows 10 system while running any program. You need to update the system drivers to fix the error issue.
Reinstall the troubled program- The issue with the program can also such an error on Windows 10 PC. So, we suggest you uninstall and reinstall the program to get past the error issue.
Best Way to Fix vcruntime140.dll is Missing Error
If you are unable to follow the above-given manual solution due to the lack of technical computer knowledge OR the error is still unfixed after applying the solution, then this solution is perfect for you.
Simple, try running the DLL Repair Tool on your system. This tool will scan your system and its files deeply, detect the error, and replace the damaged DLL file automatically.
You don’t need to open anything else or run any command manually; simply go with this tool, and it will do the rest. Along with fixing DLL errors, this tool will help you overcome all other system issues like slow PC performance, registry errors, outdated driver problems, BSOD errors, and more. So it is suggested to try this tool once to make your PC error-free and new.
After going through the above-given manual methods, you can quickly fix it. The program can’t start because vcruntime140.dll is Missing from your Computer error. All these fixes can quickly help you resolve this error.
I Hope vcruntime140.dll is missing error will be fixed after applying the methods mentioned in this article.
You can also visit our DLL error hub to learn about various DLL errors and their fixes. Apart from this, if you have any queries or suggestions regarding this DLL error, then you can share them with us on our Facebook page.
Hardeep has always been a Windows lover ever since she got her hands on her first Windows XP PC. She has always been enthusiastic about technological stuff, especially Artificial Intelligence (AI) computing. Before joining PC Error Fix, she worked as a freelancer and worked on numerous technical projects.