As of now, we all are well aware of the Windows 10 update errors. These update errors are the most common flaw of Windows 10 that users encounter once in a while.
If you are unable to update the Windows 10 system due to the error 0x80080008, then in this article you will find the easy fixes that will allow you to download the available updates without facing any kind of trouble.
But, before applying any solution, first, we will try to know a little more about this error. Windows 10 update error 0x80080008 is a very irritating error code that appears when users try to install the latest Windows 10 update.
If you think that after applying the Windows Update troubleshooter you can fix Windows 10 update error 0x80080008 then you are wrong. As after running Windows Update troubleshooter the issue may be fixed temporarily but not completely.
The error message resume when you restart your system. After rebooting your system will display the error message like “Service registration is missing or corrupt”. And, will prevent you to complete the update process.
However, here are some workarounds that will help you to resolve the error code 0x80080008 on your Windows 10 computer. So, follow the solutions one after the other and check out which one works for you.
How Can You Fix Windows Update Error Code 0x80080008?
Solution 1: Disable Your Antivirus
One of the most common reasons responsible for getting the update errors is your antivirus. Even affected users have confirmed that disabling the third-party antivirus on their computer helped to resolve the Windows update errors.
Hence try to disable the third-party antivirus on your computer, it might help you to fix the Windows 10 error 0x80080008. If just disabling the antivirus wouldn’t work, uninstall the antivirus.
To uninstall the antivirus from your computer, follow these steps:
- Go to the Windows Start button
- Click on the Settings -> Apps
- In the Apps & features window, you will get a list of all applications installed on your computer. Here, search for third-party antivirus and select it.
- Click on the Uninstall button
After uninstalling the antivirus, try to update your Windows 10 and check if the error appears or not. If it still persists, then move to the next solution.
Note: Manually uninstalling the programs/software from the computer leaves some of its files on the computer which creates issues while reinstalling it. Hence, it is advisable to use Revo Uninstaller to uninstall the program completely from the system.
Solution 2: Run SFC Command
Sometimes, Windows 10 installation files can get damaged or corrupted due to the update failure, and lead to the update error code 0x80080008.
So, to deal with this situation it is recommended to use the SFC tool. This is the way through which you can check out the integrity of system files and fix the 0x80080008 error code.
- Type cmd in the Windows Search box
- Right-click on the Command Prompt and select Run as administrator
- Now, type sfc/scannow in the command box and hit the Enter key to run this command.
- This command will scan the entire system files and repair them.
After checking all of your system files via SFC command, try to run the Windows update service to check if you can download updates without any error.
Solution 3: Execute the DISM
If the SFC scan can’t fix the Windows 10 update error code 0x80080008, then the next utility you should try is DISM. With the help of the DISM or Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool, you can easily fix the update issues.
Follow the below-given steps one by one in order to run DISM and fix the Windows 10 update error 0x80080008.
- Open the Command Prompt with admin privilege. To do this press Windows + X key and choose Command Prompt (Admin).
- In the Command Prompt you need to type the following command:
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
- If the DISM gets unable to obtain files online, then you need to insert the installation USB or DVD. Insert the bootable media and type the below command:
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:C:\RepairSource\Windows /LimitAccess
NOTE: Before running the above command you should replace the “C:\RepairSource\Windows” with the path of your DVD or USB.
The above-given solution will help you to overcome from various Windows 10 update errors.
Solution 4: Restart the BITS Services to Remove Update Error 0x80080008
The Background Intelligent Transfer Service or BITS is one of the essential services for Windows Update. And, when this update service stops working, then the Windows Update service will throw the error message while updating.
Hence, restart the BITS service to remove the update error code 0x80080008 from Windows 10 computer. To reboot the service follow the below-given steps:
- Press Windows + R key to open the Run dialogue box.
- In the Run box, type services.msc and press the Enter key
- Search for the Background Intelligent Transfer Service and double click on it to open the properties.
- And verify that BITS is working properly or not. If it is not working, then click on the Start button.
- Go to the Recovery tab and make sure the First failure and Second failure is set to the Restart service.
- At last, confirm the selection and check for updates.
After it, try to update your system.
Solution 5: Try to Re-Register Wups2.dll
Wups2.dll file is the faulty module that can trigger this type of error message. Try to re-register this file and fix the issue. And to this, follow these steps:
- Open the Command Prompt with administrator rights to do this, type the cmd in the Windows Search box, right-click on the Command Prompt and choose “Run as administrator”.
- Type the following commands in the Command Prompt and press the Enter key:
REGSVR32 WUPS2.DLL /S
REGSVR32 WUPS.DLL /S
REGSVR32 WUAUENG.DLL /S
REGSVR32 WUAPI.DLL /S
REGSVR32 WUCLTUX.DLL /S
REGSVR32 WUWEBV.DLL /S
REGSVR32 JSCRIPT.DLL /S
REGSVR32 MSXML3.DLL /S
- After running the above-given command you should restart your PC and try to run the Windows Update Service again.
Solution 6: Restart Windows Update Components
As per the users, sometimes Windows Update components cause the Update error 0x80080008 on Windows 10 computer. To resolve this issue, you need to restart Windows Update components.
To do this, just follow these steps:
- Press Windows + X key and select Command Prompt (Admin)
- IN the Command Prompt, type the following commands and press Enter key after each command:
net stop wuauserv
net stop cryptSvc
net stop bits
net stop msiserver
ren C:WindowsSoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
ren C:WindowsSystem32catroot2 Catroot2.old
net start wuauserv
net start cryptSvc
net start bits
net start msiserver
After executing these commands, the update error should be resolved and you will be able to update the Windows 10. But if not, then try the next solution.
Solution 7: Boot in Safe Boot Mode
On some incidents, background programs conflict with the Update process which leads to several errors. Hence, to fix Windows Update error 0x80080008 disable the startup programs and boot in the safe mode:
- Press Windows + R key and type msconfig, then click on the OK button
- Go to the Services tab and check the Hide all Microsoft services box
- Click on the Disable All button and click on the Apply button
- Now go to the Startup tab
- Click on the Open Task Manager link
- Select Startup programs one-by-one and select the Disable button
Lastly, restart your computer and try to download the update.
Solution 8: Manually Download the Windows Update
Even after following the fixes, if you are still getting the update error 0x80080008, then download and install the updates manually from the official website.
To do this, simply follow the given steps:
- Firstly, note down the KB number of the update you want to download
- Visit the Microsoft Update Catalog website and enter the KB number
- Now, you will get a list of results. From the result, search for the update’s version that matches your system architecture.
- Click on the Download button
- After downloading the update, run the executable file and install it.
Update Error Code 0x80080008 Related FAQs:
If the above-given fixes failed to resolve the Windows 10 update error code 0x80080008, there here is an easy alternative solution for you. Try the PC Repair Tool. This tool is proficient to fix the Windows update errors and it might also help you to resolve the update error code 0x80080008. Just install the tool on your computer and the rest of the work will be done by this tool in order to fix this issue. Well, this tool also fixes various PC issues and errors, such as DLL, BSOD, game, registry errors, fixes corrupted files, and much more. Adding to this, it also enhances the performance of the PC to make it run smoother. It is hoped that after applying the above-given solutions Windows 10 update error code 0x80080008 gets fixed. All the discussed solutions are easy to execute and one doesn’t need to have prior technical skills to apply these fixes. After applying the solutions you will be able to update your Windows 10 computer without experiencing this error anymore. Always up to help others with their PC-related issues, Jack loves to write on subjects such as Windows 10, Xbox, and numerous technical things. In his free time, he loves to play with his dog “Bruno” and hang out with his friends.
Easy Alternative Solution to Fix Update Error 0x80080008
If the above-given fixes failed to resolve the Windows 10 update error code 0x80080008, there here is an easy alternative solution for you. Try the PC Repair Tool.
This tool is proficient to fix the Windows update errors and it might also help you to resolve the update error code 0x80080008. Just install the tool on your computer and the rest of the work will be done by this tool in order to fix this issue.
Well, this tool also fixes various PC issues and errors, such as DLL, BSOD, game, registry errors, fixes corrupted files, and much more. Adding to this, it also enhances the performance of the PC to make it run smoother.
It is hoped that after applying the above-given solutions Windows 10 update error code 0x80080008 gets fixed. All the discussed solutions are easy to execute and one doesn’t need to have prior technical skills to apply these fixes.
After applying the solutions you will be able to update your Windows 10 computer without experiencing this error anymore.
Always up to help others with their PC-related issues, Jack loves to write on subjects such as Windows 10, Xbox, and numerous technical things. In his free time, he loves to play with his dog “Bruno” and hang out with his friends.