League of Legends is one of the most popular online multiplayer games in the world. Like all games and applications, LoL is not without any problems.
One such annoying error reported by gamers recently is there was an unexpected error with the login session on League of Legends prompt in the middle of the game or when you launch it on your PC.
If you are frustrated with this problem, this guide will help you fix the same with amazing troubleshooting hacks.
To optimize Windows PC performance, we recommend Advanced System Repair tool:
This software is your one stop solution to fix Windows errors, protect you from malware, clean junks and optimize your PC for maximum performance in 3 easy steps:
- Download Advanced System Repair tool rated Excellent on Trustpilot.
- Click Install & Scan Now to install & scan issues causing the PC problems.
- Next, click on Click Here to Fix All Issues Now to fix, clean, protect and optimize your PC effectively.
What Causes “There was an Unexpected Error with the Login Session in League of Legends”?
- There is no strong internet connection to launch and play League of Legends Hence it cannot connect to its server, resulting in the error.
- The League of Legends server may be down for maintenance.
- The League of Legends game is missing admin rights to access full-fledged features of the game.
- The Power Options on your PC are not set too high performance; hence they cannot match the higher graphical needs of the game.
- Any security suite (antivirus or firewall) is blocking League of Legends
- The graphics drivers and Operating system are not updated to their latest version and start conflicting with the game files.
How to Fix LoL error “There was an unexpected error with the login session”?
Here, you will come through effective troubleshooting methods that will help you fix a login session error on the League of Legends game on your PC. Follow them one by one till you find the one that works for you
Solution 1: Sign Out Before the Error Shows
Any random temporary glitch might cause a login session error on the League of Legends game. This happens when you have already logged into the game client and tried to launch another session. You can easily fix the issue by signing out of the account and logging in again after a while.
- When you are in the game, press the Alt + F4 keys
- Then, press the Sign Out
- Now, close the game and wait for a while.
- Restart your PC and launch your game client again.
- Now, type your account credentials and sign in again. Enter the correct credentials and check if you can enjoy the game without any errors.
Solution 2: Check Riot Games Server Status
Most commonly, you will face LoL Unexpected Error with Login Session if there are any issues from the server. If the server is offline or down for maintenance activities you cannot connect to the game normally. Follow these instructions to check the Riot games server status.
- Open your browser and navigate to the Riot-server status update page.
- Now, scroll down the screen and press the League of Legends game.
- Then, choose the Region and Languageaccording to your convenience and proceed on.
- If there are any server-side issues, you can check for them on the next screen. If so, you have to wait until it is resolved.
If there are no server-side problems, still the login session error occurs, you can follow the below-listed troubleshooting hacks.
Solution 3: Check the Internet Connection
To enjoy graphical games like League of Legends, you have to ensure a stable and strong network connection. As a matter of fact, the login session error on the League of Legends game issue is mainly caused due to network problems.
- Check whether the network is stable and high. If the network speed is very low, contact the Internet Service Provider regarding the same.
- Avoid using a Mobile hotspot network for connection, since they are not stable.
- If possible, use an Ethernet connection and check if you can access the game without any errors.
Solution 4: Run the League of Legends Game as an Administrator
To access some advanced features and settings of the game, you must need admin rights. Here are some steps to run the game as an administrator.
- Go to the shortcut file of the League of Legends game (usually on a Desktop) and right-click on it.
Note: You can also navigate to the installation directory of the League of Legends game and right-click on the executable file.
- Click on Properties and go to the Compatibility
- Now, select the box next to Run this program as an administrator.
- Save the changes by pressing Apply and then OK. Then, repeat the same steps to run any game launchers (like Steam) as an administrator if you are launching the game via them. Then, ensure that the login session error does not pop up again.
Solution 5: Close Processes in Task Manager
If multiple background tasks are running on a PC, they will consume a lot more graphical resources of your computer. This will cause an unexpected error in the League of Legends game. We recommend you exit all the unnecessary tasks as demonstrated below.
- Click the Ctrl+ shift+ ESC keys at the same time to open Task Manager.
- In the Processes tab, click the unnecessary task related to League of Legends(and other programs as well) and select the End task option at the right corner as shown.
Note: Scroll down the entire list and make sure you close the Killer Network Service program too as it is causing high CPU by eating up system resources. Also, many many users suggested this is conflicting with the game files and causing the error. Also disabling the KillerServiceNetwork.exe works for them to fix the error.
- Repeat the same steps for all background tasks and restart the PC.
Solution 6: Run League of Legends Manually
You will face there was an unexpected error with the login session League of Legends error when your PC unusually takes more time to patch the game. Nevertheless, you can manually run the game as instructed below.
- Firstly, you have to open File Explorer. You can do this by pressing Windows + E keys
- Then, navigate to the following path.
C:\Riot Games\League of Legends\RADS\projects\lolpatcher\releases\deploy
- Within the Deploy folder, select the LoLPatcher.exe file and right-click on it.
- Now, press the Run as administrator option.
Now, the game launches manually and you will not face any errors now.
Solution 7: Change Your DNS Server Address
Many users have suggested that the login session error on the LoL game can be fixed by modifying the DNS (Domain Name System) addresses that are provided by your Internet Service Provider. Generally, Google DNS addresses are easy to remember and implement on your PC. Hence you can follow these steps as instructed below.
- Press the Windows +R keys, this will open the Run dialogue box.
- Now, type ncpa.cpl then press the OK button.
- In the Network Connections screen, right-click on your Network adapter.
- Then, select the Properties
- On the next screen, press the Internet Protocol Version 4(TCP/IPv4)
- Now, select the Properties You can also double-click on Internet Protocol Version 4(TCP/IPv4) to launch the Properties window.
- On the next Properties screen, you have to click on the button next to ‘Use the following DNS server addresses.’
- Then, type the following values in the respective fields of the Preferred DNS server and Alternate DNS server.
- Then, select the box Validate settings upon exit as shown and then click on the OK
The modified DNS addresses will establish a new network connection and will help you fix the problem.
Solution 7: Reinstall the League of Legends Game
If all the above-listed solutions did not help you fix unexpected error on League of Legends, there are few chances that, misconfigured/corrupt installation files are bothering the normal game features. In this case, you have only one choice to reinstall the game as instructed below.
Note: You will not lose the progress of your game when you reinstall the League of Legends game since your game is directly tied up with your account.
- Firstly, press the Start key on Windows 10 and type apps and features.
- Now, click on Open.
- Then, search for League of Legends in the list and click on it.
- Now, press the Uninstall option and confirm the prompt if any.
- Then, open File Explorer and go to the following locations, delete all the files and folders related to League of Legends.
C:\Program Files\League of Legends
C:\Program Files (x86)\League of Legends
C:\Program Files\Common Files\League of Legends
C:\Users\Public\Games\League of Legends
- Make sure you remove these files from Recycle bin
- Now, open your browser and navigate to the official League of Legends download page.
- Then, press the Play For Free
- And, sign in to your account and press the Download for Windows
- Next, select the Install
- Wait until the game is installed on your PC and go to My downloads in File Explorer.
- Run the setup file and follow the on-screen prompts to launch the game. Check if the unexpected error in the League of Legends game is fixed or not.
Solution 8: Reset Network Settings
You can reset your network settings as the last option to fix the unexpected error in the League of Legends game. By doing so, all the network settings and configurations will be set to default values and will help you fix the issue. Yet, you have to reinstall some network software like VPN clients and Virtual switches once your network reset is done.
Note: Ensure you use the latest Windows 11, Windows 10 version 1607 or later PC before you perform a network reset. This avoids some unwanted mess when you perform these steps in lower versions of Windows 10.
- Firstly, Open Windows Settings on your Windows PC by pressing Windows + I keys
- Now, press the Network & Internet
- In the Settings screen, press the Status menu from the left screen and scroll down the right pane.
- Then, press the Network reset option as shown above.
- If you are prompted by any screen, proceed by pressing the Reset now
- Once the network reset is successful, your PC will reboot. Finally, you will be able to enjoy the League of Legends game without any issues.
FAQ Related to LoL Unexpected Error With Login Session
1: What Does the Error mean Unexpected Error With Login Session in League of legends?
The Unexpected Error With Login Session in League of legends indicates a network issue or the firewall/antivirus is blocking the game session on your Windows 10/11 PC.
2: How to login into League of Legends?
If you have a desktop app, you can directly launch the newly installed game and sign in to your account to play the game. To sign in to your browser version of the game, visit the official site and enter your account credentials.
Best Way to Optimize Your Game Performance on Windows PC
Many players encounter issues like game crashing, lagging, or stuttering when playing the game; then optimize your gaming performance by running Game Booster.
This boosts the game by optimizing the system resources and offers better gameplay. Not only this, but it also fixes common game problems like lagging and low FPS issues.
Get Game Booster to Optimize your Game Performance
So, this is all about “there was an unexpected error with the login session in League of Legends”. It is very simple to fix the attempt to join queue failed error by following these solutions on your PC.
Assure of following the solutions listed one by one carefully. I hope our guide works for you to solve LoL Unexpected Error With Login Session error.
However, in some cases, the game often won’t launch or run in the dedicated manner due to internal Windows issues like corrupted system files or virus infection, so here it is suggested to run the PC Repair Tool. This tool, just by scanning once, detects and fixes various PC stubborn errors.
If you have any doubts or queries, feel free to drop them off on our Facebook page. Our expert will get back to you with the potential solutions to your problem.
Hardeep has always been a Windows lover ever since she got her hands on her first Windows XP PC. She has always been enthusiastic about technological stuff, especially Artificial Intelligence (AI) computing. Before joining PC Error Fix, she worked as a freelancer and worked on numerous technical projects.