0x80240034 is a Windows Update error that appears and prevents the entire updating process on Windows 10 system. According to the Microsoft, this issue has already fixed, but there are lots of Windows 10 users who are suffering from Update error 0x80240034.
This error is not limited to Windows 10 Insiders only as this error code is affecting all versions of Windows 10 system.
There are various posts available on the Windows PC forums sits where users reported about 0x80240034 error when trying to install Cumulative Update KB4048955.
According to them, the available update gets installed without any issue via automatic Windows Update service, but when it reaches to the finishing steps of the installation process during systems reboot it get fails and all changes are rolled back automatically.
If you are suffering from the Update error 0x80240034 and unable to update your PC due to this irritating error message then you need to apply the below-discussed solutions one by one. But before applying the solutions it is recommended to know more about this error like why Windows 10 update error is happening and all.
Sometime you will face this kind of update error due to the corrupted updates or some update components get damaged while the installation process. If this is the case then you should either wait for the patch to be released by the Microsoft or you can also install the update manually from the official website: Microsoft Update Catalog.
Signs of 0x80240034 Error Code
- “WU_E_DOWNLOAD_FAILED” error message appears and crashes the active program window
- “0x80240034” is appeared
- “A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. The problem seems to be caused by the following file…”
- Your PC frequently crashes with Error 0x80240034 when running the same app
- “Update failed to download.” is appeared
- Windows system becomes slow and responds sluggishly to mouse or keyboard input
- PC periodically reboots and freezes for a few seconds
Fixes for Update Error 0x80240034
Try to Reset Windows Update Store
Try to reset the update store, try the below-given steps.
- Open the command prompt with an administrative permission. To do this, go to the taskbar’s search box and type cmd. Select the Command Prompt and right click and choose Run as administrator.
- Now you need to run the following command one by one into the command prompt window.
net stop wuauserv
net stop cryptSvc
net stop bits
After it rename the below-given folder using the commands given below:
ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old
Then reboot the Windows and check and check that the update error 0x80240034 is fixed or not.
Verify your Registry
If you are still unable to get rid of this update error code then you should follow the below given steps in order to fix any kind of registry issues.
- Open the Run dialogue box by pressing Windows + R button.
- Now, in the run box you need to type the regedit.exeand press ENTER key to open the register editor Window.
- Now, navigate to the left pane or Registry editor to the following key:
- Erase the entries WUServerand WIStatusServer in the right pane.
At last, close all windows and then restart your Windows PC. Check for the update error is solved or not.
Above suggested fixes for Windows 10 Update error 0x80240034 is effective and can allow you to install the available update without facing any type of error.
After fixing Windows 10: Update error 0x80240034 it is recommended to scan your PC with a professional PC error repair tool. This is because to deal with the other types of PC errors like registry junk issue, DLL problems, BSoD errors and more.
Scan your system with this software and your Windows PC will become a brand new computer. It will scan your entire computer/Laptop and get rid of all types of problems residing in your PC and boost the performance of your system.