If you find your “Vizio smartcast not working” then this might be caused due to software glitches or the settings of your network.
The problem is reported to occur due to many different problems with the Vizio SmartCast TV or Vizio TVproblems and may hinder the operations.
Many users reported about the problem on the Reddit community:
When I turn my Vizio smart-TV on, the Smartcast screen usually comes onto the screen. As of maybe 2 days ago, this screen does not even load – all I get is a black screen. Netflix and other such apps will work if I press the dedicated button on my TV’s remote, but then there’s no way to access any apps that do not have a dedicated button (i.e. Youtube TV). Casting to the TV seems to be intact.
Anyone else having this same issue? If so, has anyone figured out how to fix it?
The Vizio SmartCast TV stopped working problem is likely to appear in different cases like
- Users are unable to case to the TV
- Users get stuck on the black startup screen and the Vizio TV won’t load.
And after examining the problem deeply, we have uncovered a series of possible culprits responsible for the problem. Here is a list of issues that leads to the problem.
Why is My Vizio SmartCast TV Not Working?
- Unstable internet connection: If you are having an unstable or slow internet connection then this is likely to be the most common culprit. In this case, switch to a different internet connection or contact the ISP.
- Software Glitches: It is not uncommon to issue occurring due to some sort of software glitches with the smartcast. In this case power cycling your TV works for you to erase temporary configurations and reconfigure them.
- Non-optimal DHCP Settings of your Network: The problem might occur due to the incorrect or non-optimal DHCP settings of your network. So, changing the DHCP settings of the network might work for you.
Now that you are well aware of the possible causes of the smartcast not working on Vizio TV, let’s head to the series of the verified fixes used by other affected users to fix the problem successfully.
How Do I Fix Vizio Smartcast Not Working?
Before starting with the below-given solutions, please assure that you have a stable internet connection and check your device is working properly.
Solution 1 – Reboot the Vizio TV
Sometimes the simple restart works to solve the glitches. So, first, restart the TV router and casting device.
After that reboot, the Vizio Smart TV and check if the SmartCast not working problem is fixed.
But if restarting won’t work then start following the solutions accordingly.
Solution 2 – Check your TV is connected to the Internet
Very first make sure your TV is connected to the internet and getting a download speed.
You can check this by pressing the menu button on the VIZIO remote and selecting Network and selecting the option “Network Test” or ‘Test Connection”
Moreover, you can also connect your TV with another network and if another network is not available then connect the TV using your phone’s hotspot.
After connecting your TV with your phone’s hotspot, if the TV won’t have the download speed then changing the DHCP settings of your network might work for you.
Solution 3 – Reset DHCP Setting
As said above the incorrect settings may also cause the problem and refreshing the DHCP setting of your network may work for you.
Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol automatically allocates an IP address to every device of the network. It also makes sure that the devices won’t have the same IP address and prevent connection issues.
But sometimes, the module might get unresponsive and as a result, won’t assign an IP address to the SmartCast system. So, here follow the steps to re-enable the DHCP settings and fix the problem.
Here follow the instructions to change the DHCP setting of your network
- Turn off the smart cast TV and open the browser and enter the router URL.
- Now type your username and password.
- And open the router’s settings page.
- Go to the DHCP section of the router (could be Advanced, Setup, Local Network or Network settings)
- Enable the DHCP option and if it is enabled already then disable and then re-enable it.
- Now save the settings and then exit.
Switch on the TV and check it is start working properly, but if the problem persists then edit the router settings for using the Google DNS.
Hope this works for you to fix the problem but if not then head to the next solution.
Solution 4 – Check the TV Software is Updated
There are many new latest updates are available and in case if you missed updating the software then you can face this type of problem. So here you need to check whether the Vizio SmartCast TV is updated or not and install the latest update:
Please follow the below steps
- Click on settings and go to systems
- Now click on system updates
- Here you can find whether the TV system is updated or not and it will show if some new update is available.
- In case there are any updates available then click on install and update the system
- Once you are done with installing then restart your TV
Check if the VIZIO smart TV smart cast not working problem still appears or head to the next solution
Solution 5 – Power Cycle the Vizio SmartCast TV
If there’s a Vizio SmartCast problem then the power cycle will help you to solve the simple software glitches.
Power Cycling means restarting the module completely, and this erases or remove all the temporary configurations and allows you to reconfigure the temporary settings once you switch ON the system or device.
Follow the instruction for power cycling:
- On the TV remote, hit the menu button and choose System
- Choose the Reset and admin option. Then select the Soft Power Cycle.
- While doing this, turn off your router as well.
- And power ON both the devices and check if the TV starts working.
But if still facing the problem then it may happen the soft power cycle won’t work for you. In this case, try the below-given steps.
- From the power button power off the TV and unplug the TV from the power source.
- And press the TV power button for 20-30 seconds (still the TV is unplugged from the power source).
- Then plug back your TV into the power source.
- And again hold the TV power button for 20-30 seconds.
- Then power on the TV (make sure not to press any button on the TV or remote except the power button)
- Next, wait for the SmartCast Home to appear and it is estimated now the problem is fixed.
Solution 6 – Try the Factory Reset Option
If none of the above-listed fixes works for you, then here it is suggested to factory rest your Vizio TV. You can try factory resetting the TV via the menu or button.
But if your Vizio TV is stuck on the black screen, then reset it in different ways:
Try Factory Reset via TV Menu
- On the TV’s remote hit the menu option and choose System
- Next, open the Reset & Admin > choose Reset TV to Factory Settings.
- And wait till the reset process is completed.
Try Factory Reset via TV’s Buttons
- On your TV side, you can see 4 buttons. 2 at the bottom are Input and Volume Down (well this may differ as per your TV and depending on the model).
- And press the 2 buttons (Input and Volume Down) for at least 5 to 10 seconds till you can see the bar on the top of the TV.
- Hit the (Input) in the bottom for at least 5 seconds till your TV’s screen turns black.
- Next Power on the TV and start following the on-screen instruction for setting up the device.
Hope now the Vizio TV SmartCast starts working.
FAQ: Learn More About Vizio SmartCast Problem:
How do you use Vizio smart cast?
Just Tap or click on the video that you want to watch or search for the cast icon in the application(top side on the android and bottom side on the iOS). In the record of cast devices, Vizio Smart Tv must appear. Tap or click on it Vizio Tv will start playing the video.
Why is my Vizio TV stuck on SmartCast is starting up?
Well, the problem might be due to the network connection, check your internet connection is stable, software glitches or some network settings issues. So, you can connect your TV to different network and check if the issue is resolved.
So, this is all about the Vizio SmartCast not working problem. I tried to put together the potential fixes that worked for many affected users and they start using their Vizio SmartCast TV again.
Try the solutions given one by one and it is estimated one of our solutions managed to fix SmartCast not working problem on Vizio TV.
Hope the article is helpful for you and you can play SmartCast on Vizio TV.
If you are having any queries or suggestions then feel free to share with us on our Facebook page.
Hardeep has always been a Windows lover ever since she got her hands on her first Windows XP PC. She has always been enthusiastic about technological stuff, especially Artificial Intelligence (AI) computing. Before joining PC Error Fix, she worked as a freelancer and worked on numerous technical projects.