How to Repair An App Default Was Reset In Windows 10 Issue
Windows 10 is also famous for resetting default apps. After a variety of updates and build upgrades, Windows 10 resets the default web browser back to Edge, email app back to the Universal Windows Platform Mail app. Other apps like Photos, Groove Music and more are also reset by Windows 10. Windows updates are not the only cause of this issue, when no file connection has been set by the user side or when an app damages the UserChoice Registry key while setting connections then it reset back to their Windows 10 defaults.
You may also like: Fix: Update Error 0x80072EE2 in Windows 8.1, Windows 10!
When it happens then, you’ll get a notification from Action Center saying:
An app default was reset
An app caused a problem with default app settings for .pdf files, so it was reset to Microsoft Edge.
This error message can occur with the different extensions like .avi, .htm, .png etc.
How to Fix An App Default Was Reset In Windows 10
Method 1 – By Uninstalling Responsible Update
According to a report this issue may also happens because of Windows Update (KB 3135173). It essentially resets apps defaults to defaults by modifying registry settings or damaging them. Microsoft is well known about this issue, so they are working with app providers to fix this error in future Windows Updates.
You can try these steps to fix the problem:
Step 1: Open Command Prompt with administrator privileges.
Step 2: Type the below given command and hit Enter key.
wusa /uninstall/ kb:3135173
After it, restart the system and it is hoped that this issue will no longer persist.
Method 2 – Set App Defaults Manually
Apply the below given manual method to fix this issue, here is how:
Step 1: Open Settings app àSystem à Default apps.
Step 2: Click on Choose default apps by file type link, present in the right pane of the window.
Step 3: After it, scroll down and find the extension that have the issue. Set the default app by clicking the app name next to it. After doing this, close the Settings app and reboot the system.
How to Fix Other Windows Errors?
To fix different errors such as Windows Installer Errors, Windows Startup Errors, Active X Control problems, Active X Errors, Registry Errors and many others exe errors, you should try an automatic method to get rid of all these errors. Automatic method is suggested because there are various errors that are not fixed with any manual resolution, a professional PC Error Scanner will allow you to deal with all types of issues related to Windows system without doing anything manually. This application is packed with very easy to understand user interface especially for the normal user or those users that don’t have any technical skills. Download and install this application and the rest task will be executed automatically by this. This scans your PC and fixes all the bugs or errors present inside your computer/laptop. You can also fix any types of system driver issues with the help of this software; it provides the facility to debug driver related problems. Now you don’t need to suffer from your sluggish system because its advance technology can turn an old system into a brand new computer. Try it once and improve the performance of your old computer.
Powerful Features of PC Repair Tool
- Back-up Registry – You can take backup of your system registry, it allows user to create registry backup so you can use it in any system crises.
- Built in scheduler – It comes with a built in scheduler that scan your PC automatically after a fix time of interval.
- Deletes empty registry Keys – Through this tool you can make your registry database error free, it can removes all the unwanted registry keys from Windows.
- Checks invalid Class Keys – It can also check invalid class keys from windows system and help to run smoother. It also checks Shell Extension, invalid Help Files, Invalid Shared known DLL’s, invalid Paths and more.
- Manage/Cleanup Startup Programs – It also manage cleanup and startup applications of Windows system that help computer to boot without any delay.
- Scans for Invalid Program shortcuts – This tool also fix all types of invalid application shortcuts.