In Windows 10 there is a new version of Microsoft edge web browser available, but there are many Internet explorer lovers are still exists that are using a latest version of Internet Explorer i.e. IE11. Internet Explorer version 11 is packed with lots of extraordinary features and amazing experiences. Some of its latest features are touch computing, quicker navigations, and Reading View to get rid of unclear viewing and more.
But this advance web browser sometimes starts crashing/freezing, IE11 crashes and freezes are one of the common and irritating issue. If you are one of them that suffering from IE11 crashing, freezing, slow performance issue then don’t worry as below given solution will help you to get rid of all of these issues.
You may also like: Fix the Error – “Your Current Security Settings Prohibit Running ActiveX”
Method 1: Turn on the Software Rendering Mode
- Launch Internet Explorer 11, open tools menu by pressing Alt + X then go to the Internet Options box -> Navigate to the Advanced tab
- In the Settings -> Accelerated graphics -> Mark Use software rendering instead of GPU rendering option.
- After it save the settings by clicking OK and Reboot your computer.
If all OK with the browser then it is clear that you are using an outdated Internet Explorer 11 or system graphics driver is unsupported, so it is recommended to fix them. In order to fix this issue and fix GPU rendering you need to install the latest graphics drivers.
Method 2: Delete or disable Add-ons for your Browser
IE11 freezing and slow performance issue can be degenerated because of a buggy add-ons are. A buggy add-ons can affects the browser’s startup and load time, so it is suggested to make sure which extensions are a cause for your Internet Explorer freezes/crashes.
Apply the below given steps to start IE11 without No Add-ons mode:
- Open the Run dialogue box by pressing Windows + R and type iexplore.exe -extoff. Press Enter key to run your Internet Explorer 11 without add-ons
- Browse via IE and check for any sudden shutdowns. If your browser freezes or crashes even without the add-ons, then go to the Method 3
- But if you are able to use this web browser program without any issues then continue with the given below steps.
- Now you have to found which add-ons is buggy and generating the issue.
- Now, you need to Open the Tools menu by pressing Alt + X and click Manage add-ons
- Turn off the every add-on at a time present under the Toolbars and Extensions category and restart IE to see if the problem exists or not.
- After finding the culprit add-ons, uninstall that problematic add-on.
Method 3: Fall Back to Default Settings
In order to reset the IE 11 apply the following steps:
- Launch the Internet Explorer 11 and go to the Tools menu present at the top-right corner of screen. Click on the Internet Options to open the Internet Options box
- Go to the Advanced tab and open the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box by clicking on the Reset.
- Now again click on the Reset.
- After it close the dialog box and Restart your browser to apply the changes.
Method 4: Make sure that IE 11 is updated
In order to confirm that your Internet Explorer 11 is packed with the latest update or not you need to apply below given steps:
For Windows 10 and Windows 8(8.1):
- Go to the Windows Start menu/screen (by pressing Windows key)
- Now, type check for updates and hit Enter key
- Windows Update or Update status screen will appear, click on the Check for updates to search for available updates
For Windows 7:
- Open start menu and type windows update and hit Enter key
- On Windows Update screen, click the button Check for updates
Method 5: Reinstall Internet Explorer 11
If all the above given methods to fix IE11 freezing issue are unable to get rid of IE11 problem then the last trick is reinstall your Internet Explorer 11. This method will repair IE crashing/freezing, as well as other browser problems.
- Open the start menu (click Windows key)
- Type windows features in the search box, and open Turn Windows features on or off from search results
- Click to the check box present along with Internet Explorer 11
- Click OK to exit and remove the utility
- Restart the computer to finish the uninstall process and remove IE 11
- Again Turn Windows features on or off window.
- Again check the box next to Internet Explorer 11 and click OK button
- Windows system will reinstall the IE back
All the above discussed troubleshooting tips to get rid of IE slow performance and freezing issue will fix your IE. These given tips will also enhance the performance of your IE application in Windows 10.