You may see the “Windows could not automatically detect this network’s proxy settings” error due to the corrupted system files or the third party antivirus conflict.
Many users managed to fix the error by verifying the proxy server settings, or disabling the antivirus program.
This is an irritating error when it appears it slows down the speed of the internet and computers and as a result, users are unable to open video streaming sites such as Youtube, Vimeo, and Netflix.
The error causes lots of inconveniences, therefore needed to fix immediately, luckily there are ways that worked for many users to solve the proxy problem in Windows 10.
So follow the fixes given one by one carefully. But before starting with the solutions it is recommended to check your proxy settings. if you don’t know how to do so, then below follow the steps.
What are My Proxy Settings Windows 10?
In order to set a proxy manually in Windows 10 you should follow the below-given steps:
- Go to the Settings and then click Network & Internet.
- Click on the Proxy. Now, in the Manual Proxy Setup block, you have to turn on the Use a Proxy Server switch.
- Go to the address field and here type the IP address. In the Port field, you need to type the port.
- Then, click on the Save button and then exit from the Settings window.
How To Fix “Windows Could Not Automatically Detect This Network’s Proxy Settings”?
Below-given are some of the methods that will surely work in solving the proxy settings error.
Solution 1 – Check your Proxy Server settings
- First Disable the proxy server on Internet Explorer.
- Open the run dialogue box by pressing Windows Key + R.
- Type inetcpl.cpl and click OK.
- After it clicks on the Connections tab, then click the LAN settings button.
- In the LAN settings, check your proxy settings and click OK
- Make sure that proxy settings are okay
Now, check whether Windows could not automatically detect this network’s proxy settings error is resolved or not.
Solution 2 – Reset TCP/IP
Resetting TCP/IP can help you in solving the Windows could not detect this network’s proxy settings error. Follow the steps to do so:
- Press Windows Key + X and choose Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu.
- In the command prompt, type netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt.
- Reboot your computer, check for Windows could not detect proxy settings issue.
Solution 3 – Repair Corrupted Windows 10 System Files
With the help of Windows System File Checker, you can easily verify system files and repair missing or corrupt Windows system files.
- To run this command, you have to open the command prompt with admin privilege and run the below-given command:
- Press the Enter key to start the execution of this command.
After the completion of the System File Checker process, you should also run the DISM command. Type the below-given command and press enter key to execute this command.
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
Once the above commands are executed, try to see whether your proxy settings are detected or not.
Solution 4 – Reboot Network Adapter
Sometimes due to internal glitches or bugs in the network adapter, you may get the error Windows cannot detect network proxy settings.
So, here it is suggested to reboot the network adapter as this solve bugs and glitches.
Follow the steps to do so:
- Right-click on the network icon > select Open Network and Sharing Center.
- And click on Change adapter settings > find your network connection and right on it
- Then select Disable.
- Right-click on the network connection again > from the menu select Enable
Now check if the error is resolved.
Solution 5 – Reset Internet Settings in Windows 10
Resetting your Internet Settings will help you to overcome the Windows could not detect proxy settings related issue.
- To do this, go to the settings > Network and Internet
- After it, click on the Internet Options line and go to the Advanced tab
- Click on the Reset button
- At last click on the “Restore advanced settings” button to accomplish the action.
- Click on Apply and then OK to save changes
After resetting your internet in Windows, the error must be solved.
Solution 6 – Reset Windows Sockets and IP
Resettings Windows sockets and IP can also help you with an error. To reset Windows Socket and IP you have to open the command prompt first.
- Press the Windows Key then go to the Search option and search for the cmd
- From the search result, Right-Click on the Command prompt and choose Run as Administrator.
- Click on the YES, if the User Account Control pop up appears.
After opening the Command prompt, type the below-given commands and press the Enter key after each command to run them separately:
netsh winsock reset
netsh int ipv4
- At last, reboot your computer to save and apply the modification.
After it, you can troubleshoot the Internet again to check for the error is fixed or not.
Solution 7 – Turn on Obtain DNS Server Address Automatically
This step worked for many users to fix Windows could not automatically detect network’s proxy settings.
So try enabling the Obtain DNS server address automatically options. So, if you are using the DNS settings automatically then set it to automatic.
Follow the steps to do so
- First open Network and Sharing Center> click on Change adapter settings.
- Now locate network connection > right click it > from the menu choose Properties
- Then choose Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)> click Properties
- Select Obtain DNS server address automatically option then click on OK for saving the changes.
Now you will be able to access the internet without any trouble and it is estimated the problem is resolved now.
Solution 8 – Modify the Proxy Settings
Try changing your proxy settings as this may work for you to solve proxy settings errors:
Follow the steps to do so:
- PressWindows Key + I for opening the Settings app.
- And as the Settings app appears > head to the Network & Internet section.
- Now click on Proxy > disable automatically detect settings option.
Solution 9 – Uninstall the 3rd party Antivirus/Antimalware Software
Uninstall the antivirus program, it is not the best idea but Windows 10 comes with the inbuilt security program the Windows Defender that will protect your system from viruses and other crooks.
According to a report antivirus software such as AVG 2015 can affect proxy on Windows 10, so it is recommended to remove your current antivirus software and check if the Windows could not automatically detect this network’s proxy settings issue is fixed or not.
Moreover, you can install another antivirus program to keep your system safe.
Solution 10 – Run the Inbuilt Network Troubleshooter
If you are still getting the error Windows could not detect this network’s proxy settings try running the inbuilt network troubleshooter. Hope this works for you to fix the proxy error.
Follow the steps to do so
- Press Window key + I > open Settings app > click on Update & Security section.
- Choose Troubleshoot > Network Adapter > click on Run the troubleshooter.
- Now follow the onscreen instructions for completing the steps
- Well, you can also run the internet connection troubleshooter, so try running it once the above troubleshooter scanning is completed.
Hope this works for you to solve the proxy error in Windows 10.
Solution 11 – Perform System Restore
If none of the above-listed solutions works for you then try performing the system restore. This restores your system to an earlier state and automatically the error will be eliminated.
Follow the steps to do so:
- Press Windows Key + S > in the search box type system restore.
- From the list choose System restore > Create a restore point
- And the System Properties will appear > then click on the System Restore button.
- Click on Next > you will see a list of recent restore points
- Or check Show additional restore point option.
- Then choose desired to restore point > click Next
- And follow the onscreen instructions for completing the restore process.
And as your system restore process is completed. Check if the error Windows could not automatically detect this network’s proxy settings is fixed.
Check Your Windows PC/Laptop & Make them Secure
Making your Windows PC/laptop error-free and secure will help you to perform work without any interruption. Try the PC Repair Tool.
This is a professionally designed advanced tool that is easy to use for any individual. You just need to download the tool and the rest work will be done automatically.
It will scan your system, detect all kinds of errors and issues such as BSOD, game, update, DLL, registry, activation error, etc. solves them and also repair corrupt system files.
This tool will speed up your slow computer and increase its performance. So, many benefits with just a tool.
This Windows 10 proxy error can generate many other issues such as limited internet access if you are encountering Windows could not automatically detect network’s proxy settings error.
The above-stated troubleshooting methods will surely work to solve the Windows could not automatically detect the error. Apply the methods one after the other and see which one fixes your problem.
It is expected that you liked this article and it turns out to be informative for you in solving your queries regarding this error.
If there is anything you want to share with us then write to us on our Facebook Page.
Hardeep has always been a Windows lover ever since she got her hands on her first Windows XP PC. She has always been enthusiastic about technological stuff, especially Artificial Intelligence (AI) computing. Before joining PC Error Fix, she worked as a freelancer and worked on numerous technical projects.