Today I am going to discuss an irritating Windows 10 update error 0x800703f9. Like any other update error, it also appears while updating or upgrading your Windows 10 system.
Generally, you will face 0x800703f9 Windows 10 update error while upgrading from the old version to the latest one or during installing or updating the latest Windows 10 update.
A few of the common causes that can trigger this error message are computer viruses, missing or damaged system files, registry database problems, insufficient RAM memory, and more.
Sometimes due to the damaged hardware or improper installation of hardware may also generate this type of error message.
No matter what are the reasons, you will face different issues and errors which prevent you from installing available Windows updates.
Generally, this error code is followed by these identified issues:
- Windows 10 not updating: If you are suffering from this issue then you can overcome the 0x800703f9 error by resetting Windows Update components.
- Windows Update failed: If you are unable to update windows then you should run Windows Update troubleshooter.
- Windows Update problems: This issue can be solved with the help of SFC and DISM scans.
However, this error is easy to resolve and can be fixed with the fixes I have mentioned below in this article. These workarounds will help you to get rid of the 0x800703f9 error. So, without wasting any further time, try out these fixes.
How Do I Fix Update Error Code 0x800703f9 in Windows 10?
Solution 1: Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
If you find that the 0x800703f9 error is caused by the Windows Update service issues then it is suggested that you should run the Windows Update Troubleshooter:
- Go to the Windows Start button and click on the Settings
- Click on the Update & Security
- Go to the Troubleshoot tab given on the left pane of the window
- Now, go to the Windows Update section
- Click on the Run the Troubleshooter button
- Now, follow the on-screen instruction.
- After running this Windows Update Troubleshooter, try to install the updates again.
Solution 2: Run SFC and DISM scan
There is a possibility that the 0x800703f9 Windows 10 update error is occurring due to the corrupted system files. Hence, in this case, you are required to execute the SFC and DISM scans.
Below are the steps for performing the SFC scan:
- Go to the Windows Search Cortana and type cmd
- Right-click on the Command Prompt and select Run as administrator
- In the Command Prompt, type sfc /scannow and hit Enter key to run this command.
- This command will take time to scan the entire system files and fix the corrupt files.
It is also suggested to run the DISM command after executing the SFC command.
- In Command Prompt, type DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth and press the Enter Key
- DISM scan command will also take more than 20 minutes to complete.
After running both commands, you should check for the error by installing windows 10 updates.
Solution 3: Check Your Third-Party Antivirus
Though the third-party antivirus is important for keeping your computers safe but sometimes, it blocks the Windows update process. And that’s why it might be the reason for appearing Windows 10 update error 0x800703f9.
Hence, in this case, you need to disable the antivirus. But if it doesn’t work, then uninstall the third-party antivirus from your computer. To do this, follow the given steps:
- Press the Windows + I key to open the Windows Settings
- Now, click on the Apps
- In Apps & features window, locate your third-part antivirus and click on it
- Click on the Uninstall button
- Follow the on-screen instructions to remove the antivirus from your computer.
Now, restart your computer and check if the update error 0x800703f9 is removed or not.
Important Tip: Removing programs manually from the system, doesn’t remove it completely from the computer and left some of its traces and registry entries. Hence, it is suggested to use Revo Uninstaller to uninstall the program completely from the computer without leaving any traces.
Get Revo Uninstaller to Uninstall the Program Completely
Solution 4: Delete C:$WINDOWS.~BT folder
As per the affected users, sometimes certain programs cause this update issue and restrict you to install the latest update. Hence, it is advised to remove those files. You can do it simply by following the given steps:
- Open File Explorer
- Go to the Windows (C:)
- Click on the View tab and check the Hidden items
- Now search for the $WINDOWS.~BT folder and delete it.
Solution 5: Start the Windows Services
Sometimes when the vital Windows Update services stopped working, they start causing problems while installing the update. It might be caused due to manual user interference during optimize any software.
So, follow the steps given to enable all the services used by the Windows update:
- Hit Windows + R key now in the Run box that appears type cmd and open Command prompt as administrator
- And in the command prompt type the given commands and hit Enter after each to set every service startup type to Automatic
SC config trustedinstaller start=auto
SC config bits start=auto
SC config cryptsvc start=auto
When every service is started restart your system for saving the changes.
Now try to install the particular update again and it is estimated now the 0x800703f9 error in Windows 10 is resolved.
Solution 6: Reset Windows Update Components
Resetting the Windows update components will help you to deal with the corrupted or inaccessible Windows Update components that are causing this update error.
First, you have to stop this service then reset them and start the service:
- Open the Command Prompt with admin privilege. To do this, press the Windows + X key and select Command Prompt (Admin) from the list.
- Now, type the below-given commands in the Command Prompt. Running these commands will stop the BITS, Cryptographic, MSI Installer, and the Windows Update Services:
net stop wuauserv
net stop cryptSvc
net stop bits
net stop msiserver
- After it, type the below-given commands, this will rename the SoftwareDistribution and Catroot2 folder:
ren C:\\Windows\\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
ren C:\\Windows\\System32\\catroot2 Catroot2.old
- Again run the below-given commands to start BITS, Cryptographic, MSI Installer, and the Windows Update Services that you have disabled:
net start wuauserv
net start cryptSvc
net start bits
net start msiserver
- Exit from the command prompt, type exit, and press Enter
After completing these steps, go to the Windows updates and try to install the available updates.
Solution 7: Change the Windows Update Settings
According to the users, some Windows Update settings causes the Windows 10 update error code 0x800703f9. However, you can easily fix this issue by making some changes in the Windows Update settings as given in these steps:
- Press Windows + I key to open the Windows Settings
- Click on the Update & Security
- Now, click on the Advanced options under the Update settings section
- Next, uncheck the “Give me updates for other Microsoft products when I update Windows” option.
After applying this solution the 0x800703f9 error should be resolved on your Windows 10 computer.
Solution 8: Clean the Registry to Fix Update Error Code 0x800703f9
Another workaround used by the affected users in order to fix the update error 0x800703f9 on Windows 10 computer is to clean the registry of your computer.
Sometimes, the registry can also interfere with the Windows Update process and cause the Windows update error 0x800703f9 to appear.
Hence, it is advised to use a registry cleaner tool to fix this update error. Although there are many great tools available on the internet, the best one is CCleaner.
This software is specially programmed to scan and remove damaged registry entries, clean the registries. Also, this tool is easy to use, so feel free to try this tool to clean the registry on your computer.
Get CCleaner to Clean the Registry
Solution 9: Download the update manually
If you are still unable to install the update and getting errors then here it is suggested to download the update manually.
This worked for many users, so is worth giving a try.
Follow the steps to do so:
- Find the update code by heading to the Windows Update section and check for the update code you are installing. The Windows update code consist range of numbers and the KB letters and copy or write the code
- Then head to Microsoft’s Update Catalog website type the update code in the Windows search bar. A list of results appears to find the one that matches your update code and Download it.
- As the update is downloaded try running the setup file
Now you are able to install the update without getting 0x800703f9 in Windows 10.
Windows 10 Update Related FAQs:
1. How to Fix Windows 10 update error?
Some of the most common and effective solutions you can apply to fix Windows 10 Update error are:
- Run Windows Update troubleshooter
- Update device drivers
- Perform SFC and DISM scan
- Disable Antivirus
- Reset Windows Update components
2. Why does Windows 10 update keep failing?
The major factors responsible for Windows 10 update keep failing are corrupted system files, an incompatible app installed on the computer, outdated device drivers, corrupted Windows Update components, etc. Above this, make sure your system fulfills minimum system requirements.
3. Do I need to update my Windows 10?
Yes! It is very important to keep your Windows 10 PC updated. Microsoft releases these updates to fix the bugs, offer new features, and most importantly to keep your PC secure. Therefore, you should keep your Windows 10 updated.
4. How to check for Windows updates on Windows 10?
To check for available Windows 10 update follow these steps:
- Press Windows + I key > click on the Update & Security
- Click on the Windows Update on the left pane of the window
- Next, click on the Check for updates button to check the latest updates available on your computer.
Alternative Solution to Fix 0x800703f9 Windows 10 Update Error
If none of the above mentioned manual solutions worked for you, then go for an easy solution, try the PC Repair Tool. This tool is able to fix the PC internal issues and hence it might also help you to fix the Windows update error 0x800703f9.
This tool also fixes the DLL errors, BSOD errors, game errors, corrupted registry, repairs damaged system files, keeps your PC safe from the virus and malware, and much more.
Also, it optimizes the PC to enhance its performance so that you can use the computer without any issue.
Get PC Repair Tool to Fix Windows 10 Update Error Code 0x800703f9
So, these are the tested workarounds one can use to fix the Windows 10 update error 0x800703f9.
Hopefully, these solutions will help you to fix this update error on your Windows 10 computer and you will be able to install Windows 10 update without encountering any error.
If you are experiencing any other Windows 10 update error on your computer, then you can check out their solutions on our Windows Update error section.
Hardeep has always been a Windows lover ever since she got her hands on her first Windows XP PC. She has always been enthusiastic about technological stuff, especially Artificial Intelligence (AI) computing. Before joining PC Error Fix, she worked as a freelancer and worked on numerous technical projects.