Summary: Are you encountering Windows 10 error code 0x80070057 and don’t know how to deal with it? If yes, then don’t panic! You have landed in the right place. In this article, you are going to find out the best possible and working solutions to fix this error easily within no time.
What if, you are doing your usual activities on your computer and all of sudden an error code 0x80070057 pop-up on your computer and that makes you unable to continue your work.
Well, you are not the only one who is going through this issue. This error is very irritating because it can appear anytime and for any reason. This error is not associated with only one issue, there are many instances, where you can encounter this issue.
So, before moving to the solutions, check out the scenarios where you can get this error.
Different Instances To Encounter Windows 10 Error 0x80070057
The Windows 10 error code 0x80070057 can appear in different instances. Such as:
- While attempting to back up the files
- Attempting to download new Windows 10 update
- While creating a new MS Outlook profile
- Installation of new software or hardware damages system configuration
- While preparing the partition selected for a fresh installation of Windows
I think by now you know why this error 0x80070057 is annoying. You can encounter it in any of these instances. Thankfully, there are multiple solutions to troubleshoot the error 0x80070057 in Windows 10 computer.
In this article, I am going to give you the step-by-step instructions to fix Windows 10 error code 0x80070057. All you need to do is, follow the solutions depending on your situation.
How To Deal With Error Code 0x80070057 in Windows 10 Computer?
Scenario 1: Fix 0x80070057 Error Code While Attempting to Back-up Files
When you try to backup files on your computer, the backup process uses Windows inbuilt service. Sometimes, this process gets failed and generate the error message:
An internal error has occurred: The parameter is incorrect: (0x80070057)
To fix error code 0x80070057 in the failed backup scenario, try out the solutions given below.
Solution 1: Create New Registry Key
To add and edit new registry key on your Windows 10 computer, follow these steps:
- Press Windows + R key together, to open the Run dialog box
- Type regedit on the Run dialog box and click on the OK button
- Now, navigate to the given path:
- Right-click on the SystemCertificates and go to the New option
- Click on the DWORD (32-bit) Value
- Enter the Value name as CopyFileBufferedSynchronousIo
- Set the Value Data to 1 and click on the OK button
- Now restart your computer
After restarting your computer, try again to back up your data. If you are still getting the error code 0x80070057, then move to the next solution.
Solution 2: Modify Decimal Symbol Settings
If solution 1 didn’t work for you, then follow the given steps to fix the 0x80070057 error on Windows 10 computer:
- Type Control on the Windows Search box and click on the Control panel
- Click on the Clock, Language, and Region
- Under the Region section, select the Change date, time, or number formats
- Now, a Region window will appear. Click on the Additional Settings button
- Make sure the period is selected in the Decimal Symbol
- Lastly, click on the Apply and OK button
Scenario 2: Fix Error 0x80070057 When Windows Could Not Format Partition on Disk 0
The most common step to perform the clean installation of Windows is to format the partition where the current system is installed, and then reinstall the Windows from the beginning.
In this process, everything gets deleted from the system partition. However, sometimes this process gets stuck due to several reasons and throws error 0x80070057 on the computer screen.
The main reason for this error in this scenario is:
- Damaged hard drive
- Partition reserved for the installation is broken
- SATA cable is not connected properly
To fix this error while installing new Windows, you can follow the below-given solutions.
Solution 1: Format Partition via Command Prompt
The best way to deal with this issue is to format the partition reserved for the clean installation of Windows. To do this, follow these steps:
- Firstly, insert Windows Installation DVD
- Follow on-screen instructions
- Click on the Repair your computer option
- Click on the Troubleshoot -> choose Advanced options
- Next, click on the Command Prompt and type diskpart
- If it will ask you to give administrative privileges, then enter Yes
- To see the list of all the disks, type list disk
- Now, to select the disk from the list, type select disk [n] (replace n with disk number, e.g. select disk 1)
- Type the command “clean” to clean the disk
- Type the following commands:
create partition primary
select partition 1
- It will take some time to format the disk
- Type exit and then press Enter key to exit from the diskpart
- Once again type the exit and press Enter key to exit from the Command Prompt
- Finally, go back to the initial screen and select Install now
This method will help you in the fresh installation of Windows. I hope, this will work to fix error code 0x80070057. If, not then move ahead to the next solution.
Solution 2: Check if the SATA Cable is Connected Properly
If the previous solution didn’t work, then it means there is no issue with the partition. Hence, the next possible reason is an issue with the SATA cable.
SATA cable is used to connect the hard drive with the computer. And if the SATA cable is not correctly placed, then it might be responsible for the Windows 10 error 0x80070057.
In this case, check if the cable is placed correctly or whether it is broken. If the cable is broken, then you need to replace it with the new SATA cable.
Scenario 3: Windows Update Error Code 0x80070057
Windows 10 users often come across to the various update errors and 0x80070057 is one of them. When this error occurs, it gives an error message:
There were some problems installing updates, but we’ll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help – (0x80070057)
However, you can fix the Windows 10 update error 0x80070057 easily by applying any of the solutions mentioned below.
Solution 1: Rename SoftwareDistribution Folder
The Windows OS uses the SoftwareDistribution folder to store services associated with the Windows updates. Hence, you can fix update error code 0x80070057 in Windows 10 computer by renaming the SoftwareDistribution folder.
- Firstly, disable the Windows 10 update service
- Press Windows + R key to open the Run dialog box
- Type %SystemRoot% in the Run box and click on the OK button
- Locate the SoftwareDistribution folder and right-click on it and select the Rename option
- Replace the folder name with the SoftwareDistribution.old
- Now, enable the Windows update service
Lastly, restart your computer and check if you still encounter the error.
Solution 2: Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
You can fix almost all update errors and issues with the help of Windows in-built troubleshooter. You can use this troubleshooter to fix the Windows 10 update error 0x80070057 as this error is also associated with the update issues.
To run the Windows 10 update troubleshooter, follow these steps:
- Press Windows + I key to open the Windows Settings
- Click on the Update & Security
- Select the Troubleshoot tab on the left sidebar
- Go to the Windows Update section and click on the Run the troubleshooter button
- It will take some time to finish the troubleshooting process and will fix all update issues automatically
Once the troubleshooting is finished, restart your computer. Now try to update your Windows 10 computer, you will not get Windows update error 0x80070057 this time.
Solution 3: Modify Windows Registry
If you are finding error 0x80070057 while updating Windows 10, then modifying certain registry values will help you to fix it. Be careful while modifying registry values to avoid any additional problems.
Find out here how you can do this on your computer:
- Press Windows + R key to open the Run dialog box
- Type regedit in the Run box
- Navigate to the path listed below:
- Double click on the folder on the left panel of the windows and find out keys you want to modify
- After locating the key, kame sure the key is same as given below:
- Navigate to the given below path:
- Now locate the key same as the given one:
If you have modified the value of any key, then restart your computer. Now, try to update your Windows 10 computer and check if you can do it without getting any error.
Scenario 4: Installation of New Software or Hardware Causes Error 0x80070057
Windows 10 error 0x80070057 also occurs due to the installation of the new hardware, and software which damages the system configurations. This error mostly triggered by the installation of external devices.
Here are some solutions to troubleshoot error code 0x80070057 on your Windows 10 PC.
Solution 1: Remove Recently Installed Hardware and Software
If you have recently added the new hardware to your computer and just after this, you started encountering Windows 10 error 0x80070057, then there is an issue with the driver.
Whenever new hardware connected to the computer, its driver modifies certain system settings. And sometimes, this modification damage the previous system configuration that leads to this error.
In this case, you need to remove the recently added hardware from your computer to fix the 0x80070057 error.
Similarly, if this error starts appearing after the installation of specific software then uninstalls it to remove error code 0x80070057 from your system.
Solution 2: Edit Registry
Editing the Windows registry value may also help you to fix this error on your computer. You can do it by following the steps mentioned in Solution 1 of the 1st Scenario.
Windows 10 Error 0x80070057 Related FAQs:
1: What is Windows update error 0x80070057?
Windows 10 update error 0x80070057 is the same as other update errors users find while installing updates on the system. This error can get triggered if there are corrupted files on the system, virus-infected files present on the system, outdated device drivers, corrupted Windows Update components, interference of third-party applications, etc.
2: What does error code 0x80070057 mean?
Error code 0x80070057 is not associated with any particular issue, there are different instances where you can encounter the Windows error 0x80070057. Here are the different scenarios where you may face this error:
- While attempting to back up the files
- When trying to create new MS Outlook profile
- Trying to download latest Windows 10 updates
- When Windows Could Not Format Partition on Disk 0
- After Installation of new software/hardware that damages system configuration
3: What is error code 0x80004005?
Error code 0x80004005 is also a Windows error that is defined as the Unspecified Error. This error can appear on your computer due to the issues with the Windows update, corrupted temporary files, low disk space, Windows activation issues, device drivers problems, renaming or moving files and folders or issues while extracting compressed files.
Fix Windows 10 Error Code 0x80070057 Easily With Recommended Solution
If you don’t want to follow the given manual solution, then go for the best and easy solution. Try the PC Repair Tool.
This tool will help you to fix the 0x80070057 error code on your computer without needing any manual action. This is a multifunctional tool that fixes BSOD, update, upgrade, registry, game errors, and also protect PC from virus or malware attack.
It also repairs corrupted files and saves your files from data loss. You can also use this tool to optimize your PC for enhancing its performance.
Get PC Repair Tool to Fix Error Code 0x80070057
So, these were the solutions according to the various scenarios.
I have tried to make you aware of all the different scenarios where the 0x80070057 error can occur. So, now you know which method you need to apply to the particular instance to fix the Windows 10 error code 0x80070057.
I hope, the solutions I have mentioned in this article will help you to resolve the 0x80070057 error on your Windows 10 PC and you can resume your work without facing any difficulty. Make sure to follow the solutions according to your situation.
Above all, if you have any other solution or queries regarding this error, then please let us know on Facebook or Twitter.
Hardeep has always been a Windows lover ever since she got her hands on her first Windows XP PC. She has always been enthusiastic about technological stuff, especially Artificial Intelligence (AI) computing. Before joining PC Error Fix, she worked as a freelancer and worked on numerous technical projects.