Are you unable to update your Windows system because of the error code 0x8024200D?
If ‘YES’ then don’t worry, simply go through this blog and the Windows update error 0x8024200D will be fixed easily. Try the given fixes one by one to fix Windows Update errors.
This error message generally appears when the user tries to install and upgrade to a new build of Windows 10.
Users are facing the error 0x8024200D while updating to Windows 10 Version 1511 Build 10586 and getting the error message:
Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x8024200D: Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro, version 1511, 10586.
This Windows update error 0x8024200d is very irritating as this stop the user from downloading and updating Windows 10. However, this is not something that can’t be fixed, below check out various fixes and follow them one by one.
How to Fix Windows 10 Update Error 0x8024200D
Solution 1: Apply Windows Update Troubleshooter
It is the first solution because Windows update troubleshooter is Microsoft’s official solution to deal with Windows 10 update error. Download and Run this troubleshooter from Microsoft’s official site.
- Download Windows Update troubleshooter
- Execute the troubleshooter
- This will take few minutes to troubleshoot Windows 10 update error
- At last, you’ll get the message if the problem is fixed.
Now check if the Windows 10 0x8024200d error is fixed, if not then follow the next solution.
Solution 2: Remove Peripheral Drivers
- Go to the Search option and search for the Create a restore point
- Go to the System properties.
- Navigate to the System Protection tab, present on the bottom of the list, click on Create.
- In the description section, enter a description and create a restore point.
- Right-click on the Start and open Device Manager.
- Remove all peripheral devices (excluding the mouse and the keyboard).
- Now, go to their related drivers and remove them one by one (sound, printer, light pen, scanner, webcam etc.).
- Reboot your system and try updating again.
- After updating, reinstall system drivers.
Solution 3: Uninstall third-party Antivirus
Sometimes, having antivirus can prevent your system upgrading process. It is generally happening because of the internal confliction.
Third party antivirus or antimalware program can accidentally delete or block some of the update files. Hence, it is recommended to remove a third-party antivirus program and after it tries to upgrade your system.
Hope now you are able to install the update without error 0x8024200d on Windows 10.
Solution 4: Reset Windows Update Components via Batch Script
If you are facing any kind of update issues, then it becomes necessary to reset a few processes. Along with, it is also suggested to rename/delete the folder with update installation files.
Follow the steps to do so:
- Go to the command prompt with Admin rights.
- Now, run the following commands one by one by pressing the ENTER key after each one.
- net stop bitsnet stop wuauserv
- net stop appidsvc
- net stop cryptsvc
Now you need to erase the qmgr*.dat file, run the following command. This will delete qmgr*.dat file.
Del “%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr*.dat
- Go to the System32 folder, and reregister the BITS file and Windows Update files.
- Run below-given command.
- cd /d %windir%\system32
- Again, execute the below-given commands one by one and hit Enter key after each.
- Now, run “netsh winsock reset” in the Command Prompt and to reset Winsock.
- Reset the Proxy, type in netsh winhttp reset proxy and press Enter Key.
- Now, you need to re-boot the services which were stopped firstly.
net start bits
net start wuauserv
net start appidsvc
net start cryptsvc
- Restart your system.
Solution 5: Erase the Current Downloaded Update and Download the Windows Update Files Again
If none of the above-given fixes works for you then remove the currently downloaded update and download the update again to fix the error 0x8024200d.
Follow the steps to do so:
- Boot your system into Safe Mode,
- Press the restart button and keep pressing F4(this key may vary with your PC) and select Safe Mode.
- Now, navigate to the ‘C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download’. In this path downloaded update files are stored.
- Erase all the contents present in that folder. Restart your computer into normal mode.
- Go to the Settings > Update & security.
- Choose ‘Check for updates’ and execute the update process again.
Now your Windows will start downloading files again.
Check your Windows PC/Laptop Health:
If the above-given fixes won’t work for you or facing issues in following the manual fixes then run the Windows Repair Tool. This is an advanced repair utility that helps you to fix various Windows errors and issues. It just by scanning once, detect and fix various Windows errors and issues. With this, you can fix common computer issues, damaged files, registry corruption, DLL errors, also protect you against virus infection and others. It also helps you to optimize the Windows PC performance.
So, it is worth to try the automatic repair tool to fix the Windows errors easily, as sometimes following the manual solution won’t work to fix the Windows update errors.
So, these are the fixes that help you to fix Windows update error 0x8024200d in Windows 10.
Try the given fixes one by one and check which one works for you. Also, the given manual fixes are quite tricky, so carefully write the given commands.
Or else go for the automatic repair utility to fix the Windows 10 update error 0x8024200d