Is your Windows PC or Laptop is showing error 0x8007042c while updating or executing any tasks?
If your answer is YES then you are at the right place, in this blog we will discuss about 0x8007042c error code and apply different methods to fix this irritating error.
According to some users, this error message generally appears and blocks the update process. You can’t fix this error code after restarting your PC/laptop or applying any temporary method.
So, you need to follow the methods given in this article and apply them carefully. But, before applying any of the discussed methods it is recommended to know about some causes of Windows 10 Update Error 0x8007042c.
If you are receiving this error message then there is an issue in Windows Update, Windows Firewall, or some other related services. Sometimes, third-party antivirus applications can also generate this issue.
Why 0x8007042c Error Preventing Windows 10 Update Process?
- Interruption in the execution of Windows Service
- Disabled Firewall service
- Computer Malware infection
- Corruption of Registry
Tricks to Fix Windows 10 Update Error 0x8007042c
Note: Before applying any of the below-given tricks you should create a restore point of your system or laptop. This is because to deal with any kind of accidental situations.
Trick 1: Check the Windows Services and make sure it is running properly
- Open run dialogue box by pressing Windows + R key and then type “services.msc” as shown in the below image. Press Enter key.
- Now you need to find the below-given services:
Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS)
- After finding them, right-click on them one by one and then select Properties. In the properties section, you should check that their Startup type is set to Automatic.
- If you found any of the services in disabled mode, then click on Start under Service Status.
- After it, right-click on the Windows Update service and choose Restart.
- Click on apply followed by OK and then restart your PC/Laptop to save changes.
See if the issue is solved or not, if Windows 10 Update Error 0x8007042c is fixed then ok otherwise continue with the below method.
Trick 2: Rename SoftwareDistribution Folder
- Now you need to open the command prompt with admin privilege, press Windows Key + X then choose Command Prompt (Admin).
- After it run the below-given commands to stop Windows Update Services.
Note: To run these commands, press Enter key after each command:
net stop wuauserv
net stop cryptSvc
net stop bits
net stop msiserver
- After running all the above-given commands, then type the following command to rename SoftwareDistribution Folder and then hit Enter:
ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old
- At last, type the below-given command to start Windows Update Services and press Enter key after every command as you did in the above section:
net start wuauserv
net start cryptSvc
net start bits
net start msiserver
- Restart your PC to save changes.
Visit Microsoft for More Discussion: https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/2530126/-0x8007042c-error-message-when-you-try-to-start-windows-firewall
Trick 3: USE INBUILT TROUBLESHOOTER TO FIX ERROR CODE 0X8007042C
Go with the inbuilt troubleshooter of Windows. This tool will help you to detect and fix the error. Follow the below-given steps to run inbuilt troubleshooter
- Go to the Windows search option by pressing Windows key and search for troubleshooter.
- After it, click on the troubleshooter and choose the settings tab that is below the search box.
- Click on the option to find and fix problems and after it select the view all option.
- Choose the windows update troubleshooter and run it.
This tool will take a few minutes to find and fix any types of errors. After the completion, try to update your PC again.
Or you can set your windows OS to update itself on the next scheduled time.
Suggested Post: [Solved] ‘Your Windows License Will Expire Soon’ For Windows 10
[General] Turn off ANTI-VIRUS and Fix Error 0X8007042C
As above said that, Windows 10 Error Code 0X8007042C can appear because of the third party antivirus installed on your system. Follow the below-given steps to fix the error.
- Completely remove or uninstall any third party antivirus you have installed previously on your system.
- After it, click on the Windows key and search for updates.
- Open the updates window, and then check for updates.
- Install all the updates on your system.
- After the completion of installation, reboot your computer.
That’s all; with the help of above-discussed tricks, you can easily fix Error 0X8007042C. It is also recommended to scan your PC with a PC Repair Tool in order to fix all the issues. With the help of this tool, you can easily deal with any type of hidden issues preventing the system from upgrading.