No matter how fast and shiny computers might be when it is new they can get slower after time. The anti-spyware and antivirus tools, downloads from the junk from the Internet are the many things that lead to slowdown of your system. This slowdown might happen so gradually that it is hardly noticed, and after sometime it can make your system to hang.
Whatever the causes there are lots of ways to speed up the Windows 8 and 8.1, to make your PC work better than ever–even without upgrading the hardware. Here are some of the tips that can help you to optimize your Windows 8 and 8.1 for faster performance.
Delete programs you never use
Many of the PC manufacturers new computer with many programs, which includes limited edition of programs that you find useful and then need to be pay for upgrade to full versions or newer versions. If you don’t want then but still you keep that software on your system the computer might start to work slow down by using the previous memory, disk space and processing power.
So it is good idea to uninstall all the programs that you don’t plan to use. It includes both the manufacturer-installed software and software you installed yourself but don’t want any more. There are many utility software that are designed to manage and tune the computer hardware and software. You can use these programs look for the unused programs that you have not noticed ever that they are installed on your system. So removing these is the better idea of getting rid of the clutter and wasted system resources.
Many 3rd party software add the entries in the Windows startup list that automatically run as soon as Windows starts. Many of the startup items are unnecessary and need to be removed from the startup list to make the Windows to run faster. Here are simple steps to disable the unwanted startup items in Windows 8.
- You need to Right-click on Taskbar and select “Task Manager” option. You can even press “Ctrl+Shift+Esc” keys together to open the Task Manager.
- Then go to the “Startup” tab and click on the unwanted item and click on “Disable button to remove it from startup”.
Defragment your hard disk
Fragmentations make the hard disk to do extra work and can make your system to slow down. Defragmentation helps the computer to rearrange the fragmented data so that the hard disk can work more efficiently. The disk fragmentation runs on a schedule but can even defragment your hard disk manually.
Clean up your hard disk
You must remove all the unnecessary files from your hard disk as it takes up more space and can slow down the computer. The Disk Cleaner helps you to remove temporary files, empties the recycle bin and also lets you to remove some system files and other items that are of no longer in need.
Run fewer programs at the same time
Sometimes the change in the computer behavior can also can have a impact on the performance on PC. If you are a computer user who likes to keep the dozens of browsers open at the once then this can take a lot of memory space of your system. So it is better to run a few program at a time.
Turn off visual effects
If your system is running slowly then you can speed up it by disabling the visual effects. It can make down the appearance vs the performance. It is up to you that what you want to make the Windows faster or too make it look prettier.
You can choose which visual effects to turn off, one by one or you can let your Windows 8, windows 8.1 systems to choose for you. There are about 20 visual effects to which you can have control you can decide from them what to open or close and whether to shadow them or displayed.
For this Press “Win+R” keys together to open RUN dialog box. Then you need to type sysdm.cpl and press Enter. It will open System Properties window.
- Then go to “Advanced” tab and click on “Settings” button present in “Performance” section.
- Then open a new window. Now uncheck following options:
- Animate controls and elements inside windows
- Animate windows when minimizing and maximizing
- Animations in the taskbar
- Fade or slide menus into view
- Fade or slide ToolTips into view
- Fade out menu items after clicking
- Save taskbar thumbnail previews
- Show shadows under mouse pointer
- Show shadows under windows
- Show translucent selection rectangle
- Slide open combo boxes
- Smooth-scroll list boxes
Restarting the system is the easiest solution. You must restart your PC at least once a week, especially when you use it a lot. Restarting of the system is a good way clearing out the memory and ensuring any errant processes and services that has started and are running is shut down.
Restarting of the system closes all the software that runs on your PC. Not only this the programs that you see are running on the taskbar but there are dozens of services that might start by various programs and never stopped. Restarting of these can fix the mysterious performance problems when the exact cause is hard to pinpoint.
If you keep many programs emails messages and websites open and think that restarting the system is hassle and thus let them as it is then there is greater chance of PC to bog down and to run or low of memory.
Change Folder Options to Disable Unnecessary Features
You can even disable the few features of Windows Explorer such as tooltips, etc for improving the Explorer functionality:
- You need to open the My Computer and click on “View” tab present in the Ribbon. Then click on “Options” button present at the end to open Folder Options window.
- Then go the “view” tab and uncheck the following options:
- Disable file size information in folder tips
- Hide empty drives in the Computer folder
- Hide extensions for known file types
- Show encrypted or compressed NTFS files in color
- Show pop-up description for folder and desktop item
- Then apply changes and close the Window.
After following all theabove mentioned steps you can notice big improvement in the performance of the system. Apart from these steps you can follow regular things:
- Download and install latest updates using Windows Updates
- Use latest drivers for your computer hardware
- Install only necessary software
- Make use of good anti-virus software to keep your system updated.
- You need to clean the registry files with the help of a good registry cleaner-PC Repair Tool helps you to do this in an efficient manner.