Almost all Windows users are now aware of the built in Windows Update program which keeps it updated by downloading and installing latest updates, hardware drivers and hotfixes. It regularly gives you information about the new update if available and allows you to download and install this in your devices.
Installing the updation of new version is necessary because it improves the performance, reliability and stability of Windows. You can fix some security issues of Window operating system by installing them.
In the previous version of Windows such as XP, Vista 7 and 8, 8.1, the users are allows to deal with the update settings. They were capable in choosing whether Windows automatically download and install the update version or users are first notify about the available updates. This will help the users in deciding whether they want to install the available update in their system or not. This will also help them in saving their Internet connection bandwidth if the users were on limited connection of Internet.
In the latest Windows 10 Operating System, users are not provided with the ability to choose whether they want to update the new version or not. In this, all updates are automatically downloaded and installed in the system without informing the users. Sometimes while installing the update a faulty device driver might get installed and because of this your computer will no longer bootable. Sometimes system problem also occur by few available update. That’s why many Windows 10 users want to disable its updates.
In the latest operating system, users have to face several problems related to it such as not being able to download or install update, getting random error messages, not being able to search for new updates etc. Those issues are occurred when Windows Update database or components are corrupted, one or more services related to this are not running etc.
In spite of the fact, Microsoft has now disabled the Windows Update customization option in Windows 10. If you are the users of it and want to change the behavior of Window Update download or to disable or block permanently such updates then follow the given methods.
According to your requirements, you can try any of the methods that are listing below. These will work in all Windows 10 editions like Windows 10 Home, Pro etc.
METHOD 1: Customize your Windows Update Using Advanced Option Page
With the help of this, you can customize your Update settings in Window 10 and you can stop at least some of the updates which is downloaded automatically. It will also prevent the automatic restart of your computer device. This method will not disable or block your Windows updates.
- In the Start Menu, open Settings app and go to “Update & security-> Windows Update”.
- After then click on the “Advanced options” link.
- You have to select “Notify to schedule restart” option from drop down box. It will stop the automatic restart of your computer after installing and downloading the update.
- To stop automatic download of a few update, you need to uncheck the “Give me updates for other Microsoft products when I update” option.
- Now enable the “Defer upgrades” option. After enabling this option, the new updates cannot be downloaded or installed for several days or months in your computer. But you cannot prevent security updates from downloading. Enable this option ensures you that all the update are receive enough testing before they get installed in your system.
- Now click “Choose how updates are delivered” link and Off the slider which is given under “Update from more than one place”. This will help you to save your Internet connection bandwidth.
METHOD 2: To Disable Automatic Download of Device Driver Software
Using this technique, you can also stop the Update from downloading or installing automatically in your device driver software with the help of given steps:
- In My Computer, click right and select “Properties”. It will open System Properties window. After this click on “Advanced system settings.
- After then go to “Hardware” tab and click on “Device Installation Settings” button. In this, you will see “Yes, do this automatically “option would be selected by default in the window.
- This option will open a new Window. Here you need to select the second option “No let me see what to do” and then select the second option “Install driver software from window update if it is not found on my computer”.
- Now click the “Save Changes” button and the process will complete.
METHOD 3: Hide your Update Using Official Troubleshooter Tool from Microsoft
The official Windows Update Troubleshooter tool is also available for Windows 10.
- Download the Troubleshooter tool.
- After installation run the Troubleshooter tool and it will provide you the option to show or hide updates.
- After then, Click “Hide Update” option. Now, you are capable in hiding the desired update given in the list.
METHOD 4: Set your Internet Connection as Metered Connection
This is another technique, which will stop your from automatically download and install updates. For this, you have to set your Internet connection as metered connection and in metered connection, updates will not downloaded automatically. You can set your connection as metered by following the given steps.
- In Start Menu, open Settings app and go to “Network & Internet”.
- Here you select the type of your connection and after then, click on “Advanced option” link.
As far as you keep your Internet connection as metered, the new updates are not downloading in your system.
METHOD 5: Change your Windows Update Setting Using Group Policy Editor
Microsoft has removed built-in option to change the behavior of Window Update download in Windows 10 but with the Group policy the update settings are still works. Using this, you can remove system administrator restriction. Follow the steps:
- In Run, type gpedit.msc and press Enter. It will open Group policy Editor.
- Now go to Computer Configuration-> Administrative Templates-> Windows Components-> Windows Update
- In right side pane, look for “Configure Automatic Updates” option.
- The option would be set to not configure. To set in enabled, double click on it. Now choose any given option according to your requirement.
METHOD 6: Disable Windows Update Using Registry Editor (regedit.exe)
To remove system administrative restriction from Windows update settings using Registry Editor, you have to follow the given steps:
- In Run, type regedit and pres Enter. It will open the Registry Editor.
- Now go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows
- Now under WindowsUpdate key, create a new key and give a name AU So the final key path would be
- In right side pane, select AU key and create a new DWORD NoAutoUpdate and set its value to 1.
- Now close Registry Editor and open Window Update and click on “Check for Updates” button to apply changes.
Since Microsoft has completely replaced old Windows Update program with a new modern app in windows 10, the Group Policy or Registry tweak to changes the update settings might not work immediately. To work this properly, click on “Automatic” button on the Windows, and it will immediately apply the changes. After this, if you open advanced option, you will see the new settings have been applies successfully.
METHOD 7: Disable your Windows Update Service
You can disable the service of “Windows Update”. This will block Windows 10 from downloading and installing updates in your computer. To disable the service follow the given steps:
- To introduce a Run dialog box, press Win+R together and type sevices.msc in the textbox. After then, press Enter. It will open a Services Manager.
- After scrolling down to bottom, you will see a service named “Windows Update” in the list.
- To change startup type to disable, double-click on the service.
To block or change the behavior of Windows Update in Windows 10, you can use any of the above methods.
If the above methods are not helping you to fix automatic update install problem of Windows 10, then you can try PC Error Repair Tool to fix those issues. This tool will allow you to fix your problem instantly.