Are you the one encountered the error message “The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable” in Windows 10 while using the USB drive, hard drive or other file storage. Looking for the fixes to get rid of the error message, then I am here to help you out to fix the file or directory is corrupted and unreadable pop-up message.
The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable error message is one of the errors that appear due to hard drive corruption and other file storage also such as USB thumb drives, removable hard disks, and flash memory cards.
The error is very irritating as this prevents the users from accessing, copying, renaming, and other files stored. Well, this is a very miserable situation as you may lose the data stored on your hard drive or other file storage in your PC.
However, there are ways that help you to fix the file or directory is corrupt or unreadable Windows 10 error message. So, follow the given fixes one by one to fix corrupted files on Windows 10, recovers your lost data and also prevent the error from happening again.
But before moving towards the fixes it is important to check out what causes the error so that you can prevent it in the future.
Why I am getting the “File or Directory is Corrupted and Unreadable” Error?
The error message is a result of file corruption or damage of the external devices where the files are stored. And due to this, you are unable to access the files or other things you want to do.
Here check out the common reasons for the hard drives corruption.
- MFT or FAT corruption of partition
- Due to virus infection
- External drives physical damage
- Abruptly removing the external drives
So, these are the common reasons for “the file or directory is corrupted and unreadable” error in Windows 10.
How to Fix File or Directory is Corrupted and Unreadable Windows 10
It is suggested to make use of the PC Repair Tool, as this helps you to fix common errors like files corruption, malware or virus infection, protect you from file loss, hardware corruption, registry corruption, and other Windows errors. This also helps you to optimize the Windows PC/laptop performance and makes the PC error-free just by scanning once.
So, indeed it is worth to use it to fix the file or directory is corrupt and unreadable error message in Windows 10/8/7 OS.
However, if you are looking to follow the other alternate solution to fix corrupted external hard drive or corrupted files in Windows than follow the solutions given.
Moreover, the Windows operating system has several inbuilt tools to diagnose and fix file system errors. Here check out how to use them to fix the file or directory is corrupted and unreadable error message.
Solution 1: Use CHKDSK command to Repair Corrupted File System
It is recommended making use of the Chkdsk command line in CMD to clean the hard drive disk. This may help you to fix the error and also recover lost data.
Follow the steps to use it
- Press Win key + X > choose Command Prompt (Admin)
- Now a User Account Control pop-up for permission to ‘make changes to your PC’ > click Yes button,
- And in the command prompt > type chkdsk H: /f > hit Enter (H represents affected drive partition)
- Wait till the whole repair process is finished.
- Make sure to do this with every hard drive partition that generates ‘The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable’ error message.
If this won’t work for you then follow the second solution.
Solution 2 – Format the Flash Drive
If the above solution won’t work for you then try formatting the hard drive, this will erase entire files stored on hard drives and also whatever had corrupted the files.
This practical solution had helped many users to fix file or directory is corrupted and unreadable error.
Follow the steps to format the disk:
- Locate affected disk partition > right click affected drive > select format option on the drop-down menu
- Then on new window click start button > this will start formatting process.
Wait for the whole formatting process to complete and check if the corrupted external hard drive error is resolved.
Solution 3 – Reinstall Windows
There are many cases when the local drive C is the one that generates the error message. And if drive C is corrupted then your PC stop working and should not boot using the Windows startup.
So, here, in this case, try reinstalling the Windows 10 operating system. This helps you to fix the file or directory is corrupted and unreadable Windows 10 error.
Hope the above-given solutions works for you to fix the file or directory is corrupt and unreadable error and recovers the lost data.
But if you are still unable to recover the lost data from hard drive and other file storages then make there are many third-party tools that help you to recover your data.
Among them, you can use the most trusted Data Recovery Tool, this helps you to recover lost data easily without overwriting or any modification.
Tips To Prevent The Error From Occurring in Future:
- Make sure to take good care of your USB drives, hard drives, and other file storage. Also, make sure to protect them from getting damaged or destroyed.
- Scan for virus infection, as it corrupt or damage the hard drive and other external storage media
- Safely remove the hardware, before unplugging from USB port make sure to eject the USB drives from safely remove hardware icon in the notification bar.
- Also most importantly make sure to back up the data regularly to overcome the data loss situation
- If you fail to access the drive than avoid storing more data on it and also never format the hard drive before recovering data stored on it.
Hope the given fixes help you to fix the file or directory is corrupted and unreadable Windows 10 error.
So, try the given fixes to resolve the file system corruption in Windows 10 and recovers data from external hard drive and other file storage.
Also, follow the given tips to prevent the hard drive and other file storage corruption in future.
Well, if you are new to Windows or not tech savvy then make use of the automatic PC Repair Tool, this detects and fixes Windows problems automatically.
If you are having any questions, or want to share your thoughts or anything that I missed out, just follow us on @ http://ask.pcerror-fix.com